Blue Team - Karaage Chicken Bowl
oil, for deep frying
1 x 1.6kg chicken
200ml soy sauce
50ml Chinese cooking wine
2 clove garlic, peeled
3cm piece ginger, peeled
120g tapioca flour
5g ground white pepper
1 egg yolk
150ml grapeseed oil
1 ½ tbsp sriracha sauce
2tsp lemon juice
1 continental cucumber, thinly sliced
1 small carrot, julienned
50ml soy sauce
25ml Chinese cooking wine
1 clove garlic, peeled
3cm stick of ginger, peeled
1 ½ cups sushi rice
- Preheat deep fryer to 180C.
- For the Fried Chicken, de-bone the chicken and cut the breast, thigh and drumstick meat into bite-sized pieces. Place the chicken pieces into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place the soy sauce, mirin, Chinese cooking wine, garlic and ginger in a blender and process until almost smooth. Pour over the chicken and toss the pieces to coat. Cover with cling film and set aside in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place the tapoica flour, pepper and salt into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Drain the chicken pieces to remove excess marinade. Coat the chicken pieces in the flour mix and dust off excess. Working in batches, deep fry the chicken until golden brown, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the fryer and set aside on paper towel.
- For the Sriracha Mayo, carefully crack the egg into the base of a stick blender canister, making sure that it does not break. Add the salt then gently pour in the grapeseed oil. Carefully insert the stick blender, making sure blades completely cover the yolk. Blend, and as the mayo comes together, slowly bring the blender upwards through the mayo to incorporate all of the oil.
- Add the sriracha and lemon juice and blend until combined. Season to taste and set aside in the fridge.
- For the Pickles, place the sliced cucumber into a small bow and place the julienned carrot into a separate small bowl.
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and pour half of the liquid over the cucumber and half over the carrot. Set aside to pickle for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- For the Sauce, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth then transfer to a squeeze bottle and set aside.
- For the Sushi Rice, rinse the rice under running water until the water runs clear. Place the rinsed rice, salt, mirin and 2 ¼ cups of water into a pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. Release the pressure and set aside, keeping warm.
- To serve, divide the Sushi Rice between 6 serving bowls. Divide the Fried Chicken between bowls then top with Pickles, some Sriracha Mayo and a drizzle of Sauce.