Spring vege gardening guide
Spring has made a welcome arrival and your garden will be starting to come alive again! Now is the perfect time to start planting your spring crops and get your piece of paradise into tip top shape for the warmer months.
Thanks to HOMEmade's gardening gurus Tui, we've put together some handy tips to make sure you have a bumper crop in your vege patch this coming season.
- Soil is the backbone of your garden, so it is important to prepare before planting all those delicious spring vege crops. The better the soil, the better the crops, so dig in plenty of compost and Tui Sheep Pellets.
- Popular crops for planting in spring include: beans, beetroot, broccoli, carrots, celery, lettuce, peas, potatoes, spinach, and spring onions. Tui Vegetable Mix contains the right blend of nutrients to provide your veges with the best possible start and sustained growth throughout the season. For a more detailed list of what to plant in your region view Tui’s handy planting calendar.
- Blend Tui Potato Food in garden beds before planting potatoes. Keep mounding potato plants already planted as the leaves appear through the soil. If it's your first time planting potatoes check out this handy Potato Growing Guide here.
- Crops to plant later in Spring when it’s really warming up and there is no longer the threat of late frosts include tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes and capsicums. Traditionally planted on Labour weekend, tomatoes can be planted in garden beds, pots and containers using Tui Tomato Mix.
- Spring is a fantastic time to grow plants from seed and if you’re doing this sow in Tui Seed Raising Mix to give them the best chance. Check the seed packets for specific instructions as some seeds are better sown straight into the garden like peas, beans and carrots.
- Sprinkling Tui Quash slug and snail control throughout your garden will protect vulnerable new seedlings.