The Panayides - Vegetable Stack
with Feta and Herb Bread
Vegetable Stack with Feta
60ml olive oil
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 red onion, finely diced
2 brown onions, finely diced
1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
400g canned peeled tomatoes, chopped
2 sprigs fresh oregano
2 sprigs lemon thyme
1 tsp sugar
400g Kipfler potatoes, peeled
250g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled
200g celeriac, peeled
750ml vegetable oil, for frying
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 slices fresh sourdough bread
¼ cup light olive oil
1/2 tsp dry oregano
1 clove garlic, finely grated
Juice of one lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Oil the base and sides of a 30cm x 20cm baking dish.
2. For the Sauce, heat 30ml olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add garlic, onions and spring onions and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring, until soft and golden.
3. Add tomatoes, passata, herbs, salt and pepper and stir well.
4. Bring to boil, add sugar then reduce heat and simmer on a medium heat for 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened and its flavour has developed. Remove from heat.
5. Using a mandolin, slice Kipfler potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, celeriac and zucchini into thin slices, approximately 3mm thick. Pat dry with paper towel.
6. Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Shallow fry sliced vegetables, in batches, until just tender. Remove from oil and place onto paper towel to absorb excess oil. Set aside.
7. To assemble, arrange one layer of one vegetable over the base, season with salt and pepper then spread a ladle of tomato sauce over vegetables. Repeat with remaining vegetables and sauce until you have a layer of each vegetable in the baking dish.
8. Pour remaining sauce on top, cover dish with foil and bake in oven for 25-30 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and remove foil. Crumble feta over the top of the vegetable stack and drizzle with remaining olive oil. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
10. Meanwhile, for the Herbed Bread, make the herb and lemon oil by combining all ingredients, except bread, together in the canister of a stick blender. Blend until mixture thickens and starts to look creamy. Set aside.
11. Place bread onto a medium oven tray and place into oven for 10 minutes until warm and crisp.
12. Remove tray from oven and brush bread slices with herb and lemon oil. Cut Vegetable Stack into 6 portions and serve with Herbed Bread on the side.
Tip: If you have more time, you can char grill the vegetables to make the dish healither.