The Gibaldis - Iris
600g firm ricotta, well drained
240g icing sugar, sifted
½ stick cinnamon, finely grated
1 tsp vanilla essence
500g plain flour
12.5g dry yeast
½ tsp salt
25g vegetable oil
½ tsp vanilla essence
300g plain flour
180g fine dry breadcrumbs
Fresh strawberries, whole
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Preheat oil in deep fryer to 180C.
2. To prepare the ricotta filling, place ricotta into a muslin lined sieve and place over a medium bowl in the fridge for several hours or overnight, if possible.
3. Transfer drained ricotta to a large fine sieve and press ricotta through sieve into a medium bowl. Add icing sugar, cinnamon and vanilla essence and mix well until smooth. Cover bowl with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
4. For the dough, place flour, sugar, yeast and salt into a large bowl and stir to combine.
5. Add combined vegetable oil, vanilla essence and 250ml warm water gradually, mixing by hand to bring dough together. Transfer dough to a clean work surface and knead dough until smooth, soft and no longer sticky. Cover bowl with a damp tea towel and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
6. Line a large tray with baking paper and set aside. Portion dough into 12 evenly sized pieces and roll into balls. Place dough balls, at least 5cm apart, onto a lined baking tray and set aside, covered with cling film, for 30 minutes. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely. Once cool, cut a 3mm thick slice from the base of each bun and reserve. Remove the soft inside of each roll and discard. Fill each hollowed bun with about 50g of the ricotta filling and seal with reserved bun bases. Set aside.
7. For the crumb coating, place breadcrumbs in a bowl and set aside. Place flour into another bowl and whisk in 375ml water until a smooth batter forms.
8. To assemble, dip filled buns into batter, ensuring each is evenly coated and allow excess batter to drip off. Coat in breadcrumbs then deep fry, in batches, in preheated oil for 2 ½ - 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove Iris from oil and drain on kitchen paper.
9. Serve Iris hot with fresh strawberries on the side.