The Shahrouks - Chicken Sliders
6 (130g) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
500g chicken mince
½ cup plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp paprika
50g panko breadcrumbs
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup milk
12 slider buns
12 tsp mayonnaise
6 tsp tomato sauce
12 jelly lollies
Vegetable oil, for frying
Extra flour, to dust
Salt and pepper
1. For the Brussels sprouts, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Place a colander over the saucepan, add Brussels sprouts to colander and cover. Steam until tender. Remove colander from heat and spread sprouts out on tray. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
2. For the chicken patties, place chicken, egg, ¼ cup flour, salt, pepper and paprika in bowl. Mix well with hands until mixture forms a smooth paste, add a little more flour if needed to bring together. Set aside.
3. Place panko crumbs in a shallow bowl. Place remaining ¼ cup flour in another bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place egg yolk and milk in a third bowl and whisk until well combined.
4. To assemble the chicken patties, divide chicken mince into 12 even sized balls, about 50g each. Lightly flour your hands and spread a portion of chicken into the palm of your hand and use a little flour to press mince into a 7cm round. Place half of a sprout in the centre. Enclose mince around sprout and flatten into a patty shape. Repeat with remaining chicken mince and sprouts. Dip patties into seasoned flour, then egg and milk and then into breadcrumbs. Set patties aside on a lined baking tray.
5. Heat oil in a deep fryer or wide saucepan to 170C.
6. Cook patties for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Season with salt.
7. To assemble Sliders, cut slider buns horizontally in half. Spread one half with tomato sauce and the other with mayonnaise. Place chicken patty onto base of bun and cover with the top half of the roll. Thread a lolly onto a toothpick then place into top of Chicken Slider.