The Gibaldis - Calzone
500g plain flour
3.5g dry yeast
30ml vegetable oil
¼ tsp dried oregano
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Pinch sea salt
200g shredded mozzarella
180g sliced ham, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Preheat oil in deep fryer to 180C.
2. For the dough, place flour, sugar and dry yeast into a large bowl and stir together to combine. Add vegetable oil and 250ml warm water. Combine mixture by hand until water is absorbed. Add salt and knead for a further 5 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough into a large bowl and cover bowl with a clean, damp cloth. Set aside to rise for 10 minutes.
3. Portion dough into 12 x 60g pieces, roll into balls and place onto a large lined tray. Cover loosely with cling film and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes until dough balls have doubled in size.
4. Meanwhile, for the filling, combine passata, oregano, olive oil, salt and sugar in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
5. Whisk egg in a small bowl and set aside.
6. To assemble the calzones, transfer dough balls onto a lightly floured work surface and roll each out into ovals measuring about 18cm long x 15cm wide.
7. Place ham in the centre of each oval of dough. Top with 1 tablespoon mozzarella and 2 teaspoons of tomato sauce. Brush egg very lightly around the edge of each oval then fold dough in half to cover filling. Press to seal edges, being careful to not squeeze any sauce out. Set aside for 10 minutes.
8. Deep fry calzones, in batches, for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and filling is hot. Remove from oil and set aside on paper towel.