The Panayides - Beetroot & White Chocolate Muffins
Beetroot and White Chocolate Muffins
250ml (1 cup) milk
125ml (1/2 cup) oil
1 large egg
2 tsp (10ml) lemon juice
300g (2 cups) self raising flour
150g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
170g (1 cup) white chocolate, chopped into small chunks
200g fresh beetroot, peeled and grated
1 medium (150g) beetroot
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split
125ml thickened cream
White Chocolate Glaze
125g white chocolate, broken into pieces
100ml thickened cream
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Line muffin pans with paper cases.
2. For the Beetroot and White Chocolate Muffins, whisk milk, oil, egg and lemon juice together in a jug until well combined then set aside.
3. Place self raising flour, caster sugar and white chocolate into a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add grated beetroot and stir through until evenly mixed.
4. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until ingredients are just combined - do not over mix.
5. Divide mixture evenly between muffin cases. Place tray on the centre rack of oven and bake for about 22-25 minutes until well risen and centre of muffin springs back when lightly touched on top. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
6. For the Candied Beetroot, slice beetroot on a mandolin into thin slices. Use a 3cm cookie cutter to cut 20 circles from beetroot slices and set aside.
7. Heat ½ cup caster sugar with 1 cup water in a small saucepan and stir to dissolve sugar. Add vanilla bean and bring to the boil. Add beetroot circles to the syrup and simmer for 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove candied beetroot slices from syrup and place onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
8. Meanwhile, place cream and remaining 1 tablespoon caster sugar into a medium bowl and whisk to stiff peaks then transfer to a piping bag.
9. For the White Chocolate Glaze, place white chocolate and cream into a microwave and heat in 30 second intervals until chocolate melts. Stir to combine and set aside.
10. To serve, spoon 2 teaspoons of White Chocolate Glaze over each muffin. Top with a slice of candied beetroot then pipe a swirl of whipped cream on top. Serve with remaining White Chocolate Glaze in a jug on the side.