13 things your probably didn't know about Serena Williams
She's so much more than just a superstar tennis-playing machine.
- She’s won 23 Grand Slam singles titles, and 14 doubles with her sister Venus.
- She holds 7 world records and 4 Olympic gold medals.
- She started playing tennis when she was just 3 years old.
- She was named Sports Illustrated’s Sportsperson of the Year in 2015.
- Her middle name is Jameka.
- She grew up in the dangerous neighbourhood of Compton, and admits she lived in fear in her younger years.
- Besides English, she speaks fluent French, plus a little Spanish and Italian.
- An animated version of her appeared in The Simpsons in 2001. She also made a cameo in the movie Pixels, and Beyonce’s Lemonade video clip.
- There’s a secondary school named after her in Kenya, which was funded by her charity.
- She has her own line of handbags and jewellery called Signature Statement, which is sold on the US Home Shopping Network.
- He husband, Alexis Ohanian is a co-founder of Reddit.
- Her daughter, born on September 13 2017, is named Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr., after her dad.
- She has a history of pulmonary embolisms and blood clots, which meant she came close to death following the birth of Alexis Jr.
Watch Serena's journey in the brand new documentary series, Being Serena. Premieres Monday 11 June on TVNZ OnDemand.