Watch: Pair of Aussie police cars violently rammed in McDonald's car park

Melbourne police are searching for the driver of a grey BMW after two police cars were rammed in a McDonald's car park in the early hours of Friday morning.

Officers attempted to stop the vehicle after discovering the registration plates did not match the car while in a Carrum Downs McDonald's drive-thru.

CCTV footage captured the moment the car reversed into a police SUV as an officer leaps out of the way of the vehicle.

The BMW X5 then smashed into another police vehicle in front of it before speeding off.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said one officer received minor injuries following the incident.



Police investigating after needles found in strawberries at Auckland Countdown

Police say they have started an investigation with the Ministry for Primary Industries after needles were found in strawberries at an Auckland Countdown.

A police spokesperson told 1 NEWS that police are taking the report seriously and are investigating together with MPI.

They also stated that the person who reported the incident was not harmed as the needles were found before anyone had eaten them.

The investigation comes after needles were found in a punnet of strawberries sourced from Western Australia, which was bought in a Countdown supermarket in St Lukes, Auckland according to MPI.

Countdown has withdrawn a brand of Australian strawberries from sale as a precautionary measure, and is advising customers to cut up strawberries before consuming them.

The Choice brand of strawberries was sold nationwide last week.

MPI says this brand has not been implicated in the Australian contamination incident and associated recalls.  

In a press release today Countdown says "we take food safety very seriously and we have withdrawn any remaining Choice strawberries from sale from Countdown, SuperValue and FreshChoice supermarkets while we investigate this with our suppliers.

"Customers can return any Choice brand of strawberries they may have at home to Countdown for peace of mind and a full refund.

"As an extra precaution and following similar advice from public health authorities in Australia, customers should cut up any Australian strawberries before eating them.

"There have been no reports of any illness or injury in New Zealand. The strawberries affected by this withdrawal have not previously had any issues of this nature reported and had not been withdrawn from sale in Australia."

NSW authorities are investigating more than 20 incidents of needles found in strawberries. Source: Breakfast

Countdown is in contact with both New Zealand and Australian authorities as they investigate this matter.

A spokesperson from Foodstuffs NZ told 1 NEWS that Pak'nSave and New World do not stock the brand of strawberries in question.

Foodstuffs NZ say they have already pulled all Australian-sourced strawberries from their shelves.

The halt comes after needles were found in different brands in Australia. Source: 1 NEWS

Anyone who finds anything suspicious in their food is asked to contact police immediately.

Countdown says the strawberries came from Western Australia. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

Proposed law would give police power to spot fine shoplifters

A New Zealand First MP has submitted a bill to Parliament, which would give police the power to hit shoplifters with an immediate fine.

If pulled from the member's bill ballot and passed, Darroch Ball's bill would give police the power to fine shoplifters up to one-and-a-half times the price of the item.

"What the bill does is introduce a new offence, which would be shoplifting, which is defined as the petty theft of anything under $1000," Mr Ball said.

"It gives police the option to use their discretion on whether to give an instant fine ... for those petty thefts and those shoplifters."

He said that would free up police and court time, while giving retailers a greater ability to have thieves dealt with.

Sixty-eight percent of shoplifting incidents currently go un-reported because retailers don't believe those responsible will ever face prosecution, Mr Ball said.

"For the most part [shoplifters] don't get prosecuted or the punishments against, or any action against those offenders is quite minimal, if they have any at all," he said.

"So what this will do is it will give the retailers the confidence that when they do call police, and they do have that evidence, there that something can be done immediately."

And the bill's got the seal of approval from Retail New Zealand.

Its spokesperson Greg Harford said petty theft was a problem right across the sector, and this bill would go a long way to remedying it.

He said New Zealand loses around $1 billion a year because of shoplifting.

"We think this bill will absolutely act as a deterrent against shoplifting. One of the reasons that people actually shoplift now is that they think there are no consequences for the activity," he said.

"This will mean that there are consequences, those consequences will be proportionate for the offence and it will be a really good way of discouraging people from beginning a life of crime through shoplifting."

rnz.co.nz

Midsection of man hiding jeans in jacket at store
Midsection of man hiding jeans in jacket at store. Source: istock.com

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Remarkable story of survival emerges from Tanzania's ferry disaster

Video footage of the survivor found in a capsized Tanzanian ferry two days after the deadly disaster shows him carried quickly along a busy street by health workers and military personnel as a siren wails.

Officials and state media say the man was an engineer who shut himself into the engine room as the badly overloaded ferry tipped over on the final stretch before reaching shore.

The video shows the man barefoot and unmoving. Bystanders watch in surprise.

Officials say the death toll in Thursday's capsizing on Lake Victoria has reached 209 people.

Search and rescue efforts are ending as work shifts to identifying bodies.

A man has been found alive after spending more than two days trapped under the boat. Source: BBC


Topics


First high-speed train connecting Hong Kong to mainland China arrives at Shenzhen station

The first high-speed train connecting Hong Kong to mainland China arrived at Shenzhen station after commencing service today.

The first train left the newly built Kowloon West Station at 7am local time on Sunday for Shenzhen North Station and arrived at its destination 19 minutes later.

Costing upward of 10 billion US dollars and taking more than eight years to build, the system aims to transport more than 80-thousand passengers daily between the Asian financial centre of seven million people and the neighbouring manufacturing hub of Guangdong province.

The train will travel the 26 kilometres (16 miles) through Hong Kong to Shenzhen across the border in China in just 14 minutes, down from about one hour currently.

The project cost upward of 10 billion US dollars and took more than eight years to build. Source: Associated Press


Topics