Watch: 1 NEWS meteorologist Dan Corbett 20 years ago on BBC News' first ever broadcast

BBC Weather tweeted a clip of their BBC News Channel's first broadcast from 20 years ago, featuring 1 NEWS' very own meteorologist Dan Corbett. 

"Remember when the graphics looked like this," the Tweet read.

Mr Corbett gives the weather for Britain donned in a large yellow-based tie, and predicts rain and gales.

"Not the best of days for that trip to the park," he said. 

BBC Three commented: "The tie is 10/10", with BBC Weather replying: "The nineties are back in a big way - we're going to root through the wardrobe to see if we can find it."

BBC Meteorologist Matt Taylor wrote: "We all love (and miss) Daniel Corbett too!". 

Mr Corbett moved to New Zealand in 2011, working for MetService for three years before joining the team at 1 NEWS. 

New Zealand man jailed over deadly poisoning of 406 Australian eagles in Victoria

A New Zealand man has been fined and jailed for poisoning 406 wedge-tailed eagles in Victoria, Australia. 

Murray James Silvester, a 59-year-old farm worker was sentenced to 14 days in jail and fined $2,500 after pleading guilty to killing the protected birds.

The eagles were found dead on three separate farms spanning across 20 square kilometres at Tubbut between October 2016 and April 2018.

Other protected animals including a kookaburra, ravens and raptor was also found dead in the area from poison.

"His actions were conscious, voluntary and deliberate, he Googled them, he knew they were protected species," said Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning prosecutor Chrisanthi Paganis to ABC.

However, Silvester's defence lawyer Keith Borthwick told the court his employer played a role in the eagle deaths, saying: "It was under the instruction of his employer."

Mr Borthwick then explained this was due to the pressure Silvester received to increase lamb survival rates.

The court was told the maximum penalty for killing so many eagles was a fine of over $350,000 or six months in jail.

One of the most powerful Australian birds of prey the Wedge Tailed Eagle is a magnificent creature. This particular eagle was located around Alice Springs where they fly freely along the thermals generated by the West Macdonnel Ranges
The Australian wedge-tailed eagle. Source: iStock


Instagram co-founders resign from social media company

The co-founders of Instagram are resigning their positions with the social media company without explanation.

Chief Executive Kevin Systrom said in a statement today that he and Mike Krieger, Instagram's chief technical officer, plan to leave the company in the next few weeks and take time off "to explore our curiosity and creativity again."

"Mike and I are grateful for the last eight years at Instagram and six years with the Facebook team," Systrom said.

"We've grown from 13 people to over a thousand with offices around the world, all while building products used and loved by a community of over one billion. We're now ready for our next chapter."

"Building new things requires that we step back, understand what inspires us and match that with what the world needs; that's what we plan to do," Systrom said.

"We remain excited for the future of Instagram and Facebook in the coming years as we transition from leaders to two users in a billion."

No explanation was given for their sudden departure from the photo-sharing network they founded in 2010.

Facebook bought Instagram in 2012, just before going public, at a price that seemed inconceivable at the time — $1 billion — especially for a little-known startup with no profit.

At the time Instagram was ad-free, with a loyal following of 31 million users who were all on mobile devices — still a somewhat elusive bunch for the web-born Facebook back then. Since then, the service has grown to more than 1 billion users and has of course added plenty of advertisements.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg called Systrom and Krieger "extraordinary product leaders" and said he was looking forward "to seeing what they build next."

The departures are a challenge for Facebook.

Instagram has been a bright spot for company not just because it's seen as a more uplifting place than Facebook itself, but because it is popular with teens and young people — a group Facebook has had trouble keeping around.

Instagram has largely escaped Facebook's high-profile problems over user privacy, foreign elections interference and fake news, even though it is not immune to any of these things (Facebook recently disclosed it has deleted hundreds of pages on its namesake site as well as Instagram that were linked to global misinformation campaigns intended to disrupt elections).

Though Systrom, in the early days of Instagram ads, famously checked each one personally to ensure it aligned with the app's aesthetics, he was not as loudly anti-ads as the founder of another popular Facebook-acquired mobile app, WhatsApp.

WhatsApp's CEO Jan Koum resigned in April.

Koum had signaled years earlier that he would take a stand against Facebook if the company's push to increase profits demanded radical changes in the way WhatsApp operates.

In a blog post written when Facebook announced the biggest acquisition in its history, Koum wrote that the deal wouldn't have happened if WhatsApp "had to compromise on the core principles that will always define our company, our vision and our product."

Berlin, Germany - 05 21 2016:  Apple iPhone 6s screen with social media applications Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google, Youtube, Vimeo, LinkedIn, Pinterest, WhatsApp etc.
Instagram (file picture). Source:


Man charged with murder over death of 10-year-old Alaska girl

An Alaska man was charged today in the death of a 10-year-old girl whose remains were found more than a week after she was reported missing.

State prosecutors charged Peter Wilson of Kotzebue with first-degree murder, kidnapping, sexual abuse of a minor and tampering with evidence in connection with the death of Ashley Johnson-Barr. An autopsy revealed signs of strangulation and sexual abuse, and DNA evidence also linked him to the crime, according to prosecutors.

Wilson, 41, pleaded not guilty Friday to federal charges of making false statements as FBI agents and others searched for Ashley in Kotzebue, a remote Inupiat town on Alaska's northwestern coast.

The girl disappeared September 6. Her remains were found eight days later in rugged tundra accessible only by a four-wheeler or on foot.

The state charges come after Ashley's family had asked that any further legal action be delayed until after the girl's funeral Saturday, said John Skidmore, criminal division director for the state Department of Law.

Wilson took a cellphone from Ashley and lied when he said he had found it on the ground, according to an indictment filed last week from a federal grand jury. The indictment also says Wilson lied about knowing the girl and using a four-wheeler the day she vanished.

Ashley had her cellphone with her when she was last seen playing with friends at a park. The phone was found later that day in the pocket of a jacket belonging to Wilson, a woman named in an FBI affidavit only by the initials of JJ told authorities. The woman said Wilson often stayed at her home.

Wilson told authorities that he found the phone on the ground about a half-mile from the park.

On the afternoon the girl went missing, Wilson also disappeared with a four-wheeler for about two hours, according to authorities. The FBI affidavit said the girl's body was found on tundra outside Kotzebue, in an area concealed by thick alder and willow brush.

After the girl disappeared, Kotzebue residents helped search for her, holding vigils at the park where she was last seen. Similar prayer vigils were held across Alaska. The FBI sent 17 agents to help investigate.

Kotzebue is 42 kilometres north of the Arctic Circle and 885 kilometres northwest of Anchorage. It serves as a regional hub for northwest Alaska villages.

Ashley Johnson-Barr.
Ashley Johnson-Barr. Source: Supplied

Western Australia Govt refuses $3m payout to girl, 11, left with brain injury after electric shock

The Western Australian Government has rejected a proposed partial settlement for Denishar Woods, the 11-year-old girl who suffered a catastrophic brain injury after a severe electric shock at a public housing property, a support group says.

The National Indigenous Critical Response Service, which has been supporting the Perth girl's family since the incident, says the Government's decision to reject making the $3.2 million payment is "morally and politically abominable".

"I beg the state government to review its disgraceful decision to fail to advance the family some of the inevitable compensation," national co-ordinator Gerry Georgatos said on Monday.

"It's no skin off their nose to do what will be lifesaving for the family."

Mr Georgatos told AAP the full settlement for Denishar was likely to run to between $10 and $15 million to cover the cost of her care for the rest of her life.

But he said that could take several years to finalise and the ex-gratia payment would ease some of the family's enormous financial pressures.

Denishar's mother, Lacey Harrison, said she was "shell-shocked" by the Government's decision which would "strand my daughter, my children, myself as a mother".

"We should not be in this deplorable position where we've got to wait years for the compensation," she said.

The WA Government was being contacted for comment.

However, last month it approved an act of grace payment to allow the family to buy a specially-modified vehicle.

Denishar was shocked with up to 230 volts when she touched a garden tap at a Beldon property in March.

The incident remains under investigation by the Building and Energy Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

Mr Georgatos said the department had repeatedly suggested a result was just weeks away and he could see no justifiable grounds for why it was taking so long.

Denishar Woods. Source: Nine