Video: Going underground with descendants of supremely brave Kiwi miners who served in WW1

It was the greatest surprise attack of WW1 and it involved almost 500 miners from the NZ Tunnelling Company. Source: 1 NEWS



Are Coke poised to produce a cannabis-infused drink?

The Coca-Cola Company says that it's "closely watching" the growth of the use of a non-psychoactive element of cannabis in wellness drinks.

The statement today came after reports that the beverage giant was in talks with a Canadian cannabis company to create a cannabidiol-infused infused beverage.

Coca-Cola and Aurora Cannabis Inc. both declined to confirm the reports by BNN Bloomberg.

Shares of Aurora were up nearly 17 per cent on the Toronto Stock Exchange on the report.

Coca-Cola says it's eyeing the growing market for health drinks infused with cannabidiol -- or CBD -- but has made no decisions.

The beverage giant's interest is another indication of the growing acceptance of cannabis by established companies.

Spirits maker Constellation Brands bought a minority stake in a Canadian marijuana producer last year.

They’ve made the plea face to face with Coke at a conference in Auckland.
Source: 1 NEWS


Most read: Man told wife she was too weak to survive biblical rapture in plot to get her life insurance, court hears

This story was first published on Monday September 17.

Source: istock.com

A Queensland man accused of assisting his wife take her own life as he was the beneficiary of her $1.4 million life insurance told her she was too weak to survive the biblical rapture, a court has heard.

Jennifer Morant died on the Gold Coast in 2014 after her husband Graham Robert Morant, 69, allegedly repeatedly told her her suicide would not be a sin in God's eyes because of the financial windfall to his pastor aspirations.

Morant wanted to buy a property in the Gold Coast hinterland with the life insurance money to start a religious commune, Jennifer Morant's sister Lynette Lucas has told a jury.

"He had explained to her that he was going to have a communal environment, with bunkers and extended out-buildings so that when the raptures came, they would have a place of safety," Ms Lucas has testified in Brisbane Supreme Court.

"He was quite adamant he was going ahead with it ... (he said) she'd be doing something good for the church and helping him.

"He did reinforce they (the raptures) were very imminent. They were coming soon and Jenny would not be able to cope with this disaster and it would be better if she weren't around to experience it."

Jennifer was "horrified" by the plans and wanted no part of them, Ms Lucas said.

Morant pleaded not guilty today to aiding in the suicide of Jennifer and counselling her to do so.

He claimed he found a suicide note after coming home one night in November 2014.

The note explained Jennifer didn't want to be a burden on anyone, especially her husband, and it would not be fair on him to care for her "24 hours a day".

"Please believe it is my choice to do this and and there is no one to blame," the note read, said crown prosecutor Michael Lehane.

Morant told police Jennifer suffered "a lot of back pain" and took pain relief medication. But she was "fearful for her life", Ms Lucas said.

"(I told her) your life's in danger with these (life insurance) policies," she said.

Police found Jennifer, 56, dead in her car with a petrol generator.

Prosecutors allege Morant helped his wife buy the generator and assisted putting it in the boot of her car.

Morant said she tried to kill herself at least twice previously, the prosecution says.

Asked by police if he helped in her suicide, Morant said he didn't and she knew how to take her own life because she watched a lot of the US television show Crime Scene Investigation.

Jennifer was in "intense daily pain", defence barrister Dean Wells said.

"I suggest to you Graham is more innocent than anybody you will hear giving evidence against him," Mr Wells said.

"Truth is stranger than fiction. There are ... more subplots in this particular case than you will ever see in any courtroom drama on television."

The trial continues.

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Meghan Markle launches cookbook to raise money for Grenfell fire victims

The Duchess of Sussex has helped launch a cookbook to support a community kitchen for the survivors of the Grenfell fire.

The 37-year-old royal - who was known as Meghan Markle before she married Prince Harry - has made secret visits to the Hubb Community Kitchen this year, and she's written a foreword for 'Together: Our Community Cookbook'.

Kensington Palace confirmed: "The Duchess of Sussex first visited the kitchen in January 2018 and has continued to make regular private visits.

Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex cooks with women in the Hubb Community Kitchen at the Al Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre. Source: Associated Press

"United by their passion for cooking as a way of strengthening communities, The Duchess was inspired by how the project empowers women at a grassroots level, and championed the cookbook project as a way of ensuring the kitchen can continue transforming lives and communities through cooking."

The book - published by Penguin Random House - showcases more 50 recipes created by women affected by the tragedy, which saw 72 people lose their lives in the towerblock blaze last year.

In the foreword, Meghan wrote: "I immediately felt connected to this community kitchen; it is a place for women to laugh, grieve, cry and cook together.

Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, centre front, poses for a photograph with women of the Hubb Community Kitchen. Source: Associated Press

"Melding cultural identities under a shared roof, it creates a space to feel a sense of normalcy - in its simplest form, the universal need to connect, nurture, and commune through food, through crisis or joy - something we can all relate to...

"Through this charitable endeavour, the proceeds will allow the kitchen to thrive and keep the global spirit of community alive."
Proceeds from the book will help the Hubb Community Kitchen to stay open seven days a week.

Baroness Rebuck DBE, chair of Penguin Random House, added: "We were instantly caught up by the extraordinary vision for this project with the women of the Hubb Community Kitchen.

"Every woman who has contributed a recipe to this book has also contributed a fragment of their lives and memories. Each dish tells a story of culture, family and a sense of home.

"But most of all 'Together' is an homage to life and friendship and we hope it will act as a symbol to all communities and encourage cooking together for life and joy."

Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex cooks with women in the Hubb Community Kitchen at the Al Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre in London. Source: Associated Press


Australian strawberry crisis: Sewing needles have now been found in strawberries in all six Australian states

A health warning remains in place to throw out or cut up strawberries across most of Australia after sewing needles were found in the fruit in all six states.

New Zealand has pulled the Australian strawberries from its supermarket shelves, as police investigate after metal needles were found in punnets of fruit across the country.

Sewing needles and pins have been deliberately placed inside strawberries across the ditch. Source: 1 NEWS

Nervous farmers fear a multimillion-dollar sabotage, with Queensland Strawberry Growers Association vice president Adrian Schultz blaming "commercial terrorism" for bringing the industry to its knees.

"I'm angry for all the associated people, it's the farmers, the people who supply them, the packaging people, the truckies with families to support, who suddenly lose their jobs ... it's far-reaching," he said.

A farmer in Queensland says he will install a metal detector to check his produce while others are destroying their crops, rather than pick them, to save money, The Courier-Mail reports.

Two contaminated punnets of Mal's Black Label strawberries have been found in separate towns outside Adelaide, with the latest in Morphett Vale.

The Mal's Black Label strawberries were grown in Western Australia, where a man yesterday reported to the York Police Station in regional WA that he'd found a needle in a punnet of strawberries.

The warning to throw out or cut up strawberries remains in Queensland, NSW, Victoria and South Australia.

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt has ordered Food Standards Australia New Zealand to investigate whether there are supply chain weaknesses or systemic changes needed.

Coles supermarkets have pulled all strawberries from their shelves, except Western Australia, as a precaution.

Aldi supermarkets are returning non-contaminated strawberry brands to their shelves.

Berry Obsession, Berry Licious and Donnybrook Berries have recalled their strawberries nationwide.

Foodstuffs and Countdown, which are owned by Woolworths and control nearly the entire New Zealand grocery market, yesterday announced they had stopped sending out Australian strawberries to their stores.

The halt comes after needles were found in different brands in Australia. Source: 1 NEWS