Trump gives media a 'big fat failing grade' as he marks first 100 days in office

He gave himself a big tick for his first 100 days, but how many promises has he actually kept? Source: 1 NEWS



At least 21 reported killed in crash between bus and tanker in Iran

Iranian media are reporting that at least 21 people died in a road accident when a bus overturned following a collision with a tanker on a road in central Iran.

Today's report by the semi-official Tasnim news agency says the accident happened today on the road linking the cities of Kashan and Natanz, about some 250 kilometres southeast of the capital, Tehran.

It says 20 people were also injured in the crash and were taken to local hospitals.

Amateur video broadcast on Iranian media shows a burning bus, with flames rising into the nighttime sky.

With some 17,000 motorists killed annually, Iran has one of the world's worst traffic safety records, attributed to disregard for traffic laws, unsafe vehicles and inadequate emergency services.

Iran map (file picture).
Iran map (file picture). Source: istock.com


Tornado spawned by Hurricane Florence hits town in Virginia, smashing building and killing one

One person was killed after the remnants of Hurricane Florence spawned an apparent tornado that touched down in the Richmond area in Virginia today and caused a building to collapse, authorities said.

A Chesterfield Fire/EMS spokesman said the victim was a man who worked at Old Dominion Flooring. 

The spokesman said when fire crews arrived the store's manager told them that all of the store's employees were accounted for, except for one man.

The spokesman said emergency personnel were working to recover the unidentified man's body. 

A second person was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

Dominion Energy reported 6,000 customers were without power due to the storm.

A spokesman for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management said his agency considers the storms part of the remains of Florence, which left flooding rains across much of North Carolina and parts of South Carolina over the weekend.

One person was killed in the tornado that touched down in Richmond. Source: Associated Press

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Most read: Some KiwiBuild apartments redesigned after being too small for banks to lend on

This story was first published on Tuesday September 18.

The Housing Minister is calling it a one off and says it’s no big deal. Source: 1 NEWS

Inquiries from 1 NEWS have led to some KiwiBuild apartments being redesigned because they're too small for banks to lend on.

The 25 apartments announced last week at the 340 Onehunga development in Auckland are to be the first KiwiBuild apartments sold off the plans.

However, the six $380,000 KiwiBuild studio apartments were just 39.2sqm in size.

That's below the minimum 40sqm that major banks insist upon for buyers with KiwiBuild sized deposits.

After 1 NEWS made inquiries into the matter, the developer scrambled last night and adjusted the floor plans of the studio apartments.

The developer now says the apartments will meet the 40sqm criteria.

Housing Minister Phil Twyford told 1 NEWS today the incident is "no big deal".

"No look, it's no big deal, it's a very, very, small difference in the floor area, actually the apartments now are going to be slightly bigger," Mr Twyford says.

Loanmarket Director and mortgage broker Bruce Patten can't understand how it happened.

"The minimum size that a lender will lend money on an apartment has been 40sqm for some time.

"It's interesting they make these assumptions without approaching the people who are going to be funding it," Mr Patten says.

National MP Judith Collins says Mr Twyford should be embarrassed for not getting the details right.

"This is a blunder alright, but then most of what KiwiBuild has been, has been a bit of a blunder," Ms Collins says.

1 NEWS understands the plans for the six studio apartments are now being revised.


Watch: Jacinda Ardern admits Government not 'most open, most transparent' after questioning by Simon Bridges in Parliament

The Prime Minister admitted today the Government has not lived up to the commitment to "be the most open, most transparent Government that New Zealand has ever had", after being questioned by Simon Bridges over the chief technology officer saga. 

Former Associate Open Government Minister Clare Curran made the commitment in November last year.

In August Ms Curran was stripped of her Open Government and Digital Services responsibilities after not disclosing a meeting for the second time and resigned earlier this month from her other portfolios after a poor performance while answering questions in Parliament.

"Clare Curran's failure to accurately answer parliamentary questions about her meeting with [Derek] Handley did not meet my or the former Minister's expectation," Ms Ardern said today in Parliament. 

Derek Handley was offered the role of chief technology officer, which was subsequently retracted by new Digital Services Minister Megan Woods, costing the taxpayer a $100,000 payout. 

At the beginning of the month, Ms Curran admitted she had conducted Government business on her personal Gmail account

Mr Bridges today asked the Prime Minister if she had used private Gmail in correspondence with Ms Curran. 

"Primarily I conduct my business across my parliamentary accounts, but I want to ensure that I answer the member with accuracy, so if he wishes to put them down in detail, then I will do so," Ms Ardern answered. 

Ms Ardern said she recalled her only contact with Mr Handley as Prime Minister was a text message she received from him, to which deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters piped up saying: "Has the Prime Minister contemplated putting the leader of the National Party out of his misery by leaking the email?"

Former Associate Open Government Minister Clare Curran made the transparency commitment in November last year. Source: Parliament TV