Theresa May says it's highly likely Russia poisoned former spy on British soil

Britain is turning to its allies for support. Source: 1 NEWS



Man charged with murder after woman fatally stabbed in Christchurch - 'the tone of this neighbourhood has changed'

A 52-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a 28-year-old woman following a stabbing incident in the Christchurch suburb of Ilam last night.

Police were called to the scene on Ilam Road just before 8pm, where a 31-year-old man was found seriously injured after allegedly being stabbed by the other man.

Neighbour Maurice Nicholl said he "wouldn't have believed it in this area".

"We heard a kerfuffle over on the corner, loud voices, and sort of yelling. then they sort of wandered off down the road yelling at each other or whatever was going on," Mr Nicholl said.

The suspect is in Christchurch Hospital in a serious but stable condition with self-inflicted injuries.

Detective Senior Sergeant Scott Anderson said, "This was a domestic incident but as I said, it's early days and we've still got more to gather."

Police believe only one weapon, a knife, was involved. They are also inspecting a white vehicle as part of their investigation.

"I just want to reassure the community at large that this is an isolated incident and we don't believe that there is any ongoing risk to the community," Sergeant Anderson said.

Cordons around Ilam Road will remain in place for the rest of the weekend.

The 52-year-old man has since been charged with murder and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, as residents say they can't believe the incident happened in their neighbourhood.

Neighbour Joanne Neilson says she's recently become concerned about the area.

"The tone of this neighbourhood has changed. I've lived here since the 70s and I've been a student myself, but it just seems totally different since the earthquake," Ms Neilson said.

The accused man will appear in court once he has recovered from his injuries.

One man has been arrested following one fatal stabbing in Christchurch. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

'Prepare for the worst' - Typhoon Mangkhut makes it way to Hong Kong after killing 28 in Philippines

 Hong Kong and southern China hunkered down under red alert as strong winds and heavy rain from Typhoon Mangkhut lashed the densely populated coast, a day after the biggest storm of the year left at least 28 dead from landslides and drownings in the northern Philippines.

Nearly half a million people had been evacuated from seven cities in Guangdong province, the gambling enclave of Macau closed down casinos for the first time and the Hong Kong Observatory warned people to stay away from the Victoria Harbour landmark, where storm surges battered the waterfront reinforced with sandbags. Mangkhut is due to make landfall in Guangdong later today.

The national meteorological center said southern China "will face a severe test caused by wind and rain" and urged officials to prepare for possible disasters.

The typhoon packed sustained winds of 155 kilometers (96 miles) per hour and gusts of up to 190 kph (118 mph). The Hong Kong Observatory said although Mangkhut had weakened slightly, its extensive, intense rainbands were bringing heavy downfall and frequent squalls.

Hundreds of flights were cancelled. All high-speed and some normal rail services in Guangdong and Hainan provinces were also halted Sunday, the China Railway Guangzhou Group Co. said.

In Fujian province and elsewhere, tens of thousands of fishing boats returned to port and construction work came to a stop.

Philippine National Police Director General Oscar Albayalde told The Associated Press that 20 people had died in the Cordillera mountain region, four in nearby Nueva Vizcaya province and another outside of the two regions. Three more deaths have been reported in northeastern Cagayan province, where the typhoon made landfall before dawn Saturday (local time).

Among the fatalities were an infant and a 2-year-old child who died with their parents after the couple refused to immediately evacuate from their high-risk community in a Nueva Vizcaya mountain town, said Francis Tolentino, an adviser to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.

Mayor Mauricio Domogan said at least three people died and six others were missing in his mountain city of Baguio after strong winds and rain destroyed several houses and set off landslides, which also blocked roads to the popular vacation destination. 

About 87,000 people had evacuated from high-risk areas of the Philippines. Tolentino and other officials advised them not to return home until the lingering danger had passed.

In Cagayan's capital, Tuguegarao, where the typhoon hit land, Associated Press journalists saw a severely damaged public market, its roof ripped apart and wooden stalls and tarpaulin canopies in disarray. Outside a popular shopping mall, debris was scattered everywhere and government workers cleared roads of fallen trees.

In Hong Kong, Security Minister John Lee Ka-chiu urged residents to prepare for the worst.

"Because Mangkhut will bring winds and rains of extraordinary speeds, scope and severity, our preparation and response efforts will be greater than in the past," Lee said. "Each department must have a sense of crisis, make a comprehensive assessment and plan, and prepare for the worst."

A resident walks beside toppled structures as Typhoon Mangkhut barreled across Tuguegarao city in Cagayan province, northeastern Philippines early Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018. The typhoon slammed into the Philippines northeastern coast early Saturday, it's ferocious winds and blinding rain ripping off tin roof sheets and knocking out power, and plowed through the agricultural region at the start of the onslaught. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)
A resident walks beside toppled structures as Typhoon Mangkhut barreled across Tuguegarao city in Cagayan province, northeastern Philippines. Source: Associated Press

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Police search for man following serious assault in Tauranga

Police are looking for a 26-year-old man following a serious assault in the Tauranga suburb of Parkvale.

Police car generic.
Police car generic. Source: 1 NEWS

Joel Ross Matiu is being sought in relation to the assault which took place at Henderson Crescent yesterday afternoon.

Matiu is considered dangerous and should not be approached by members of the public, police warn.

He is said to have links to the wider Western Bay of Plenty, Rotorua and Matamata areas.


Police search for man seen at the scene of fatal attack in Lower Hutt

Police have named the victim of Friday night's fatal assault in Taitā, Lower Hutt as they continue to search for a man who left the scene of the assault.

Armed police are at the scene where a man was killed in a fight in Lower Hutt last night with police hoping to remove the body from the scene this afternoon. Source: 1 NEWS

Faapaia Fonoilaepa, 29, a painter from Avalon was killed during a fight near the intersection of High Street and Burcham Street just after 7.30pm.

Police say they are looking for a man who left the scene following the assault.

The man is described as Māori, of solid build, aged 30-40 years, with dark hair and facial tattoos. He was wearing black clothes.

The man is believed to have left the sence initially on foot and walking south.

He then returned to the scene before leaving in silver Toyata Carib station wagon.

Police say the car is missing its front hubcap and has some damage to its front left panel and indicator.

The car was seen at the High Street scene for several minutes before it left travelling north where it was later spotted in Pringle Street.

Police are also looking to speak to a woman who was walking north on High Street at the time the incident took place.

The woman is of medium build with long brown, curly hair and was wearing dark clothing, headphones and was carrying a shoulder bag.