Sydney aged care worker charged after hitting elderly man with shoe

A Sydney aged care worker has been filmed allegedly assaulting an 82-year-old resident, hitting the man with a shoe and shoving and dragging him while trying to remove his clothes.

Some viewers may find the footage distressing.

The 35-year-old man has been charged over the abuse at the home on Sydney's northern beaches, in a incident police have described as "disgraceful".

"These vulnerable people need the community's help to be their voice," Superintendent David Darcy said in a statement.

The footage allegedly shows the worker repeatedly hitting the resident of the Seaforth facility with a shoe and shoving him.

He is also seen dragging the man onto the bed and pulling him by his shirt.

Police arrested the employee at Wheeler Heights yesterday.

He has been charged with two counts of domestic violence-related common assault and use of an offensive weapon with intent to commit an indictable offence.

The man was granted condition bail to appear at Manly Local Court on September 11.

Bupa, which owns the care home, said it was "shocked and saddened" by the incident and takes the safety and wellbeing of its residents seriously.

"The employee in question has been dismissed, and we are cooperating fully with NSW Police," a spokesman said in a statement.
"As this is a police matter, we cannot provide further comment at this time."

It comes as the Australian Medical Association warned that elder abuse was likely to rise as Australia's population ages.

AMA president Tony Bartone said with more people suffering chronic, complex medical conditions, extra pressure was being put on an already underfunded aged care system.

"Increasingly, residential aged care facilities are relying on lesser-trained personal care assistants instead of registered and enrolled nurses," he said today.

"As Australia's population ages, and without resourcing for enough appropriately-trained staff, and education for carers and health workers to identify and prevent elder abuse, neglect and abuse of older people - whether accidental or intentional - is likely to increase."

The federal government is funding a national study to look at the prevalence of elder abuse across the country.



Most read: Young girl hung from tree with skipping rope in school yard bullying incident - 'She was saying no, no, no'

A young girl with a heart condition has been left severely traumatised and "broken" after a bully at her Perth school hung her from a tree with a skipping rope, her mother says.

"It's unbelievable that another child committed such an act of violence against her and that's how we could have lost her," a tearful Belinda Yoon told Nine News of her 10-year-old daughter Amber, who she described as already having endured "more surgeries than we can count and been in the scariest situations".

The incident became national news in Australia last week after Ms Yoon spoke up about it on Facebook.

"She put (the rope) over her neck and started wrapping and wrapping and wrapping," Ms Yoon told Nine News of the school playground incident. "She was saying, 'No, no, no,' until she couldn't speak anymore."

She said her daughter, a Year 5 student half the size of children her age due to her heart condition, thought she was going to die as her toes barely scraped the ground.

The incident is now under investigation by police, and Ms Yoon says she has removed her daughter from Queen of Apostles Catholic school, where the playground incident is alleged to have taken place. She accused the school of not contacting her about the bullying or seeking medical attention after the incident.

She only found out about it, she said, after reading her daughter's journal.

"She's such a tough little cookie," the mum told Nine News. "I really that hope this has not broken her spirit, because that for me is what would be unforgivable."


Topics


Most read story: BBC newsreader Rachael Bland dies, aged 40, after two-year battle with cancer

BBC newsreader Rachael Bland has died, aged 40, after a two-year battle with cancer.

Bland's family confirmed to the BBC that she died peacefully at her home.

"She was an incredibly talented broadcaster as well as a wonderful and much loved daughter, sister, aunt, niece, wife and, most importantly to her, a mother to her precious little Freddie," her husband Steve said in a statement.

Two days ago, Bland revealed in a social media post that she had just days to live.

In another post published on Huffington Post, Bland wrote that she was preparing for her death by wrapping birthday presents for her three-year-old son which he can open each year until his 21st.

Bland, who co-hosted the podcast You, Me And The Big C, says she wants to leave plenty for her son Freddie to remember her by.
"The main thing is that, while he's so young, I want him to remember me in some way," she wrote.

"I'm planning and wrapping birthday presents which he can open between the ages of four and 21."

The post was reportedly written before Ms Bland revealed she had days to live.

The newsreader for BBC North West Tonight in England had been fighting breast cancer since 2016.

Journalist and newsreader Rachael Bland. Source: Instagram / Rachael Bland

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Trump fires back after anonymous member of his own administration writes about what they are doing to stop him

In a striking anonymous broadside, a senior Trump administration official wrote an opinion piece in The New York Times on Wednesday (Thursday NZT) claiming to be part of a group of people "working diligently from within" to impede President Donald Trump's "worst inclinations" and ill-conceived parts of his agenda.

Trump said it was a "gutless editorial" and "really a disgrace," and his press secretary called on the official to resign.

Trump later tweeted, "TREASON?" and in an extraordinary move demanded that if "the GUTLESS anonymous person does indeed exist, the Times must, for National Security purposes, turn him/her over to government at once!"

The writer, claiming to be part of the "resistance" to Trump but not from the left, said, "Many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump's more misguided impulses until he is out of office." The newspaper described the author of the column only as a senior official in the Trump administration.

"It may be cold comfort in this chaotic era, but Americans should know that there are adults in the room," the author continued.

"We fully recognize what is happening. And we are trying to do what's right even when Donald Trump won't."

A defiant Trump, appearing at an unrelated event at the White House, lashed out at the Times for publishing the op-ed.

"They don't like Donald Trump and I don't like them," he said of the newspaper. The op-ed pages of the newspaper are managed separately from its news department.

The essay immediately triggered a wild guessing game as to the author's identity on social media, in newsrooms and inside the West Wing, where officials were blindsided by its publication.

And in a blistering statement, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders accused the author of choosing to "deceive" the president by remaining in the administration.

"He is not putting country first, but putting himself and his ego ahead of the will of the American people," she said. "The coward should do the right thing and resign."

Sanders also called on the Times to "issue an apology" for publishing the piece, calling it a "pathetic, reckless, and selfish op-ed."

White House officials did not immediately respond to a request to elaborate on Trump's call for the writer to be turned over to the government or the unsupported national security ground of his demand.

To White House officials, the ultimatum appeared to play into the very concerns about the president's impulses raised by the essay's author.

Trump has demanded that aides identify the leaker, according to two people familiar with the matter, though it was not yet clear how they might go about doing so. The two were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

A "House of Cards"-style plot twist in an already over-the-top administration, Trump allies and political insiders scrambled late Wednesday to unmask the writer.

The text was pulled apart for clues: The writer is identified as an "administration official"; does that mean a person who works outside the White House?

The references to Russia and the late Senator John McCain - do they suggest someone working in national security?

Does the writing style sound like someone who worked at a think tank? In a tweet, the Times used the pronoun "he" to refer to the writer; does that rule out all women?

The newspaper later said the tweet referring to "he" had been "drafted by someone who is not aware of the author's identity, including the gender, so the use of 'he' was an error."

Hotly debated on Twitter was the author's use of the word "lodestar," which pops up frequently in speeches by Vice President Mike Pence. Could the anonymous figure be someone in Pence's orbit? Others argued that the word "lodestar" could have been included to throw people off.

Showing her trademark ability to attract attention, former administration official Omarosa Manigault Newman tweeted that clues about the writer's identity were in her recently released tell-all book, offering a page number: 330. The reality star writes on that page: "many in this silent army are in his party, his administration, and even in his own family."

The anonymous author wrote in the Times that where Trump has had successes, they have come "despite - not because of - the president's leadership style, which is impetuous, adversarial, petty and ineffective."

The assertions in the column were largely in line with complaints about Trump's behavior that have repeatedly been raised by various administration officials, often speaking on condition of anonymity. And they were published a day after the release of details from an explosive new book by longtime journalist Bob Woodward that laid bare concerns among the highest echelon of Trump aides about the president's judgment.

The writer of the Times op-ed said Trump aides are aware of the president's faults and "many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations. I would know. I am one of them."

The writer also alleged "there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment" because of the "instability" witnessed in the president. The 25th Amendment allows the vice president to take over if the commander in chief is "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office." It requires that the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet back relieving the president.

The writer added: "This isn't the work of the so-called deep state. It's the work of the steady state."


Do you know this knife-wielding man who robbed Thai restaurant in Christchurch of a significant amount of cash

Police have released CCTV images as they seek assistance from the public to identify the man involved in an armed holdup of a Thai restaurant in Christchurch last night.

Canterbury police released two images showing the man in a hooded camouflage jacket with a balaclava entering Erawan Thai Restaurant.

The man was armed with a knife when entered the restaurant at the intersection of Shirley and Hills Roads around 6:45pm, causing staff and guests to flee the restaurant through a side door.

Source: NZ Police

Police said the man stole a significant amount of cash from the till and run from the restaurant down Shirley Road towards New Brighton, police said.

Anyone who can identify the man in these images is asked to contact Canterbury Police on 03 363 7400 or call Crimestoppers anonymously via 0800 555 111.

Source: NZ Police