A group that monitors internet censorship says Sri Lankan authorities have blocked most social media services in the country following attacks that killed more than 200 people yesterday - on Easter Sunday.
The NetBlocks observatory says it detected an intentional nationwide blackout of popular services including Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp and Instagram.
Sri Lankan officials said today they are temporarily blocking social media to curtail the spread of false information and ease tensions until their investigation is concluded.
Read more on the Sri Lanka terrorist attack
NetBlocks director Alp Toker says such post-attack shutdowns are often ineffective and can end up creating an information vacuum that's easily exploited. The group says the country is also blocking messaging apps.
Facebook says in a statement that people rely on its services to communicate with loved ones and it's committing to maintaining service in the country.
A police spokesman earlier said 13 suspects had been arrested in connection with the attacks. As well, police have identified a vehicle they suspect was used to transport the suspects into Colombo and a safe house believed to be used by the attackers.
There are 214 New Zealanders registered as being in Sri Lanka.