The Russian Ministry of Defence on Friday (local time) said it has enough evidence showing that a planned provocation was carried out in the case of alleged chemical attack in Syrian town of Douma on April 7.
Russian Defence Ministry spokesman, Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov, speaks at a briefing in Moscow on Friday, April 13.
Source: Associated Press
"The Russian Defence Ministry has plenty of evidence that on April 7, a planned provocation was carried out in Douma with the aim of misleading the international community."
"The provocation's real purpose is clear to everyone. It is to enable the United States to launch missile strikes against Syria," Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov told a press briefing on Friday.
The United States has accused the Syrian government of using chlorine gas in an attack on April 7 in the previously rebel-held Douma near Damascus.
Konashenkov said almost a week has passed, but the United States and other western countries failed to provide any evidence of the use of chemical weapons in Douma.
The Russian Defence Ministry also has evidence of Britain's direct involvement in organising this provocation, according to the spokesman.
"The Russian Defence Ministry has other evidence showing Britain's direct participation in organising the provocation in Eastern Ghouta.
"We know that between April 3 and April 6, London put pressure on representatives of the so-called White Helmets group in order to facilitate the implementation of the provocation," he said.
The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons began investigating the use of chemical weapons in Syria's Eastern Ghouta today.
Konashenkov said Russia expects the investigation to be objective.
According to Konashenkov, all the settlements of Douma are currently under control of the Syrian government forces. The Russian military police were deployed to the area to monitor the situation and maintain law and order.
Now a total of 63,000 civilians have returned to their homes in Douma.