Police comb bushland for missing Aussie boy William Tyrell, nearly four years after he disappeared

Detectives are hoping a forensic search of bushland on NSW's mid north coast will rule out if William Tyrrell became lost and confirm suspicions he was abducted.

William was three years old when he vanished from his grandmother's yard in Kendall on September 12, 2014.

The initial search focused only on finding "a little boy lost" across about 18 square kilometres.

The new search will home in on a three sq/km zone, and every detail will be documented.

Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin said now was simply the "appropriate" time for a detailed search of the area.

If police manage to lay charges against one of many persons of interest, anything they find could become evidence in a criminal court case.

If they find nothing, and the rest of the investigation falls flat, the search information will be handed over to the coroner for an inquest.

About 50 officers from the public order and riot squad spent Wednesday raking through about 600 square metres of bush near Kendall with picks, hoes and shovels. Sniffer dogs were also deployed and a chainsaw on hand.

Det Insp Jubelin said time was no barrier with forensic evidence, but he held "grave, grave concerns" about William.

He believes people do know what happened to the boy and reiterated the $1 million reward for information leading to William's recovery.

The search was set to resume this morning.

William Tyrell
William Tyrell Source: NSW police

Three teens charged over vicious central Auckland assault in May

Three teenagers have been arrested and charged over an alleged assault on two men on May 5 on Auckland's Queen Street.

CCTV footage was earlier released of the attack, where the two men were left unconscious on the ground.

Three 17-year-old males have been charged with two counts of intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and one of the males also faces a charge of assault with a weapon.

Two of the teens have since appeared in Auckland District Court where they were remanded on bail until their next court appearance on 13 June 2018.

The third male will be appearing in the Youth Court.

In a statement police thank the public and Police Ten 7 for assistance in identifying the teens.

Police are now looking for the people involved, who set upon two people on May 6 outside the Mecca Maxima store. Source: Police 10/7


Qantas jet nosedives for 'terrifying' 10 seconds after encountering turbulence from another aircraft

A Qantas flight from Los Angeles to Melbourne was forced to make a 10 second nosedive because of turbulence from another plane, leaving passengers "terrified".

Melbourne, Australia - November 19, 2012: Qantas Airways Airbus A380 registered VH-OQF takes off as QF93 to Los Angeles (LAX) from Melbourne International Airport at Tullamarine, Victoria.
Qantas plane (file picture). Source: istock.com

The incident happened over the Pacific Ocean on flight QF94 earlier this week.

The flight was affected by turbulence from another Qantas plane - flight QF12 - as the two jets took off just minutes apart, Nine News reports.

"It was an absolute sense of losing your stomach and that we were nosediving," passenger Janelle Wilson told The Australian.

"The lady sitting next to me and I screamed and held hands and just waited but thought with absolute certainty that we were going to crash. It was terrifying."

Qantas' Fleet Safety Captain Debbie Slade says the plane are designed to handle the turbulence.

"We understand that any sudden turbulence can be a jolt for passengers but aircraft are designed to handle it safely," Ms Slade said in a statement today.

"As the Captain explained to passengers at the time, this A380 experienced a short burst of wake turbulence from another A380 flying ahead and above it."

Nine News reports it's understood Qantas have not reported the incident to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.