Pacific Update with Barbara Dreaver: Church-loving nana goes viral, shocking PNG police beating causes condemnation

In the latest edition of Pacific Update with Barbara Dreaver, 1 NEWS' Pacific correspondent wraps up the week's news from around the region.

Among the stories in this week's edition is a church-loving nana who has gone viral, and a shocking incident of alleged police brutality in Papua New Guinea.

Dreaver also discusses the arrest of a nurse in Samoa, following the deaths of two one-year-olds after they received the MMR vaccination.

And a warning, some may find some of the images in this report upsetting. 

1 NEWS' Pacific Correspondent gives a round-up of news in the region. Source: 1 NEWS

'Hello, it's mummy' - watch the adorable moment a deaf baby first hears his mum's voice

A deaf baby boy in the UK broke into smiles when he heard his mother's voice for the first time after being fitted with new hearing aids, and video of the moment has gone viral.

Five-month-old Alex Denman-Sang was born with Bilateral Moderate Sensorineural hearing loss which means he has been practically deaf his whole life, The Sun reported.

He was fitted with new hearing aids at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool.

In a clip of the moment, Alex's mother Jen gets his attention by saying his name, and he smiles.

Alex is being held by his dad, and smiles more when she says, "It's mummy, mummy. Hi"

And again when she wipes his face and asks, "Are you slobbering on daddy?"

A clip of the moment went viral after the hospital tweeted Alex's adorable reaction.

It is been viewed more than 800,000 times and has even been shared by comedian Dawn French.


'You filthy scum' - family of teen killed in knuckleduster attack by drug-addled friend cheer sentencing

The family of a teenage boy murdered by a man wearing brass knuckledusters filled a courtroom with applause - and verbal abuse - as the killer was jailed in Melbourne.

Thomas Kelson, 29, has been sentenced to 24 years' imprisonment for murdering 17-year-old Cayleb Hough, whose body was found in the Lerderderg State Park near Macedon in March 2016, about three months after he died.

As he was lead out of the docks at the Supreme Court of Victoria today, Cayleb's family screamed "you crumb" and "you filthy scum" at the killer, who will be eligible for parole in 19 years.

In sentencing, Justice Andrew Tinney condemned the "violent and protracted assault" and "absolute tragedy" of Cayleb's death at the hands of someone who'd been a friend.

He said the pair had been at a party and both consumed drugs and alcohol, becoming "on edge".

The next day, on December 20, 2015, the pair attended a friend's address at Collingwood, smoking ice and "speaking in riddles" as they become more drug-affected.

During their time at Collingwood, Kelson became concerned about the disappearance of his father, incorrectly believing Cayleb had something to do with it.

He began striking Cayleb, giving him a bleeding nose, and cutting his arm with a kitchen knife while "ranting and raving".

After a time, Cayleb became making "entirely false revelations" about Kelson's father, including that he'd been raped and shot.

Kelson then threatened to kill the boy.

He bound the teen with duct tape, binding his hands and placing some over his mouth, bundling him up in the rear seat of his car.

Kelson then drove in convoy with another man to an abandoned mineshaft in the forest near Bacchus Marsh.

On the way, Cayleb kicked the back of Kelson's head, causing him to go "ballistic".

Kelson put the knuckledusters on his hand and fatally struck the boy a number of times.

He then dragged the boy's body from his car, dumping him in the mineshaft and telling him he was "a dog".

Kelson later drove to Sydney and escaped for a while in Argentina before deciding to return home.

He was arrested at the airport at his arrival back in Australia in January 2016.

An autopsy was unable to determine Cayleb's cause of death because his body had become "largely skeletonised".

"You murdered a 17-year-old boy over who you were able to exercise control in the last hours of his life," Justice Tinney said.

"His death was an absolute tragedy."

Source: 1 NEWS