Melbourne terror attack hero dubbed ‘trolleyman’ granted bail for café burglary day earlier

The man who rammed the Bourke Street attacker with a trolley last week has been given bail despite allegedly stealing a bike and breaking into a cafe to take cash.

Michael Rogers, now known as “trolleyman”, was spared time behind bars by Melbourne magistrate Bob Kumar on Saturday but under strict conditions that he stay away from Melbourne CBD, observe an overnight curfew and report to police daily.

Police had wanted Rogers in relation to an incident at a cafe the day before the Bourke Street attack, where he and an accomplice allegedly broke into a cafe and took $500 from the till and a basket, the court heard.

Security footage showed Rogers leaving the cafe holding the basket, detective Andrew Bruce said.

Rogers also faced charges over an offence in October where he was accused of following someone into a St Kilda Road apartment building and stealing a $2000 bicycle from a storage cage.

He is also accused of attempting to steal a bicycle from an East Brunswick address a few days later.

The police prosecutor argued on Saturday that Rogers did not deserve bail as he posed an unacceptable risk of reoffending and had a lengthy criminal history.

However Rogers' lawyer Melinda Walker told the court her client had turned himself in to police after being humbled by the money raised for him in the wake of the Bourke Street attack.

She said Rogers had a "unique and incredible opportunity" to get help and rehabilitation.

"That's what the community wanted when they gave him the money, to give him the opportunity to turn his life around," Ms Walker said.

She explained to the court how Rogers had become the subject of a community fundraiser in the wake of his selfless efforts against IS-inspired knifeman Shire Ali.

She said Rogers was humbled by the generosity, which is what compelled him to turn himself into police.

"I have known this man for 20 years. He's never handed himself in to the police," she said.

Rogers sat in the dock either looking straight ahead or down throughout the hearing, standing only when asked to confirm he understood the terms of his bail.

Mr Kumar granted bail with strict conditions Rogers live with family well away from the CBD, report to police daily and stay indoors between 9pm and 6am.

Your playlist will load after this ad

Hassan Khalif Shire Ali attacked three men with a knife, killing one, before lunging at police. Source: 1 NEWS

More From