Sources:| Associated Press
At least 450 New Zealanders are trapped in Bali as the ominous volcano of Mount Agung continues to rumble with a "quite big" official expectation it will erupt.
The 450 Kiwis have all registered with the natural disaster authority, SafeTravel, after Foreign Minister Gerry Brownlee called for New Zealanders to check into the website.
For more on this story, watch 1 NEWS at 6pm.
Source: 1 NEWS
"Registered New Zealanders will receive updated advice and information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade in the event the situation deteriorates," Mr Brownlee said.
The Minister says residents and tourists have been warned to stay at least 12 kilometres from the volcano's crater.
The exodus of total tourists from Bali is nearing 100,000 people, a local disaster official said overnight, with hundreds of tremors from the mountain recorded daily.
The National Disaster Mitigation Agency said more than 96,000 people have now fled the area around Mount Agung in the northeast of the island.
Villagers began leaving in the middle of last week and the number of evacuees has swelled daily since Saturday, when the volcano's alert status was raised to the highest level.
The agency said a monitoring centre had recorded more than 800 earthquakes over just the past day, with thin smoke was observed rising 50 metres above the crater.
The volcano last erupted in 1963, killing more than 1100 people, and remained active for about a year.
Another volcano, Mount Sinabung, has been erupting sporadically since 2010, sometimes blasting volcanic ash several kilometres into the air and forcing more than 30,000 to evacuate their villages.
Indonesia, an archipelago of thousands of islands, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific "Ring of Fire," an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.
Varnish cache server