Heartbroken mother pushing for new laws after son crushed to death by chest of drawers in Western Australia

share

Source:

AAP

The death of a toddler who was crushed by a chest of drawers was preventable and Western Australia laws should change to allow tenants to fasten furniture to a wall for child safety, a coroner has found.

Reef Jason Bruce Kite died on October 13, 2013 from crush asphyxia when the 1.27 metre unsecured wooden chest of drawers fell on him at the family's Yokine home.

The active 21-month-old boy, who liked to climb on things, was supposed to have been asleep in bed at the time.

Reef's mother Skye Quartermaine said the drawers were not bolted to the wall because her landlord had banned it.

Coroner Sarah Linton said in her findings released on Wednesday that it was a tragic accident and a preventable death.

The coroner recommended the Residential Tenancies Act be amended to ensure a tenancy agreement cannot preclude a tenant from affixing a fixture if it relates to anchoring a television or item of furniture to a wall for child safety.

She said such an item should be allowed to be affixed with the lessor's consent, and the lessor should not unreasonably withhold their consent.

Ms Linton said it was important for all parents to know other children had died in a similar way.

"It is particularly important that parents with children under five years of age make an assessment of the safety risks of furniture in their home and seek information as to what steps they can take to make that furniture child-safe," she said.

"It is hoped by Reef's parents that the publicity surrounding Reef's death will help to prevent similar deaths.

"One way this may be done is to raise the awareness of landlords to the real safety issues that arise with some common household furniture items and the need for them to be flexible in their approach to tenants' requests to secure some items to walls in a rental property."

loading error

refresh