TODAY |

Friends mourn Sydney father who was electrocuted by fallen powerlines in front of his young family

Relatives and friends are mourning the death of Sydney father Hossam Ibrahim who was electrocuted in his driveway in front of his young family.

Mr Ibrahim, also known as Dr Hossameldin Mohamed Ibrahim, died on Saturday night after a power line fell into his Punchbowl driveway and ignited a fire.

Neighbour David Andraos said the father walked into the 11,000-volt power line and "dropped face-first".

Efforts to remove him were hampered by the danger to potential rescuers and the wire having "melted to his legs", Mr Andraos said.
His family watched the entire episode.

"It would have been horrific for them to see, especially his kids," Mr Andraos said.

The chairman of Islamic Relief Australia and former president of the NSW Islamic Egyptian Society is being remembered as an inspiring humanitarian.

"His generosity, humanitarian conviction and compassion inspired us all," Islamic Relief Australia said in a statement.

"You were an incredible person who was always kind, generous and full of Noor," Samar Omari said.

"We have a lost a brother and the sector has lost a great humanitarian," Penny Appeal Australia chief executive Mohamed Mayat said.

"A quiet, humble man always with a smile on his face who worked tirelessly for the sake of Allah swt (sic)," Eahab Arja posted online.

Mr Ibrahim had recently attained a master's degree in business administration and had proudly posted online about his first year coaching his son's junior soccer team.

Hossam Ibrahim. Source: Facebook