TODAY |

Aussie teen stung by world's most venomous jellyfish says pain was 'enough to think I was dying'

A 14-year-old girl from Australia says she felt like she was dying after she was stung by one of the world's most venomous jellyfish. 

Hannah Mitchell was stung on Easter Sunday by an Irukandji jellyfish while swimming in Western Australia. 

"It was more than pain, it was enough to think I was dying," she told Nine News.

"I could feel my lungs and my heart, everything inside me was like crumbling, it felt like it was crumbling."

Two weeks later, Hannah has left hospital but is still on pain medication. 

Her mother thanked hospital staff for saving Hannah's life. 

Australian toxicologist Professor Jamie Seymour told news.com.au a sting from an Irukandji jellyfish caused "severe vomiting, nausea, stomach cramps and about 10-15 per cent of patients end up with cardiac problems".

"Linked with that is this feeling of impending doom where everything is going to go wrong and there's nothing you can do to fix it."

In 2016, ABC news reported the death of two French tourists, aged 74 and 76, was suspected to be caused by heart attacks linked with stings by Irukandji jellyfish on the Great Barrier Reef.