Aussie PM Scott Morrison apologises and removes online video over inappropriate song lyrics

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has deleted a parody video from his social media accounts after discovering the hip-hop song used in the footage contains explicit and sexually charged lyrics.

The 11-second clip from question time in the federal Parliament on Thursday showed MPs raising their arms to the 1999 track Be Faithful by US rapper Fatman Scoop.

The suggestive lyrics were not included in the brief video, but the full song contains six uses of the word f***.

The clip was posted to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram on Thursday before being taken down.

"The full lyrics of the song used in my earlier video from QT today were just not OK. When I found out, I asked the team to take it down. Apologies," Mr Morrison tweeted.

Despite the video being deleted from all of Mr Morrison's accounts, social media users retained the clip and it's still easily accessible on Twitter.



Pacific Update with Barbara Dreaver: Islands prepare for Prince Harry and Meghan, Samoa responds to domestic violence epidemic

In this September 14 edition of Pacific Update with Barbara Dreaver, 1 NEWS' Pacific Correspondent wraps up the week's news from the region.

In this week's edition we look at the itinerary for Prince Harry and Meghan’s tour through the Pacific.

In Samoa, a domestic violence commission says the government and church have not done enough to address the issue after nine out of 10 people were found to have experienced violence in the home.

In Papua New Guinea, Australian special forces are helping prepare the capital, Port Moresby, for the APEC Summit in November while Niue has been named as one of the world’s fastest growing tourist destinations.  

1 NEWS' Pacific Correspondent gives a round-up of news in the region. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

Government pays $107k to retract chief technology officer job offer to entrepreneur Derek Handley

Derek Handley says an offer of chief technology officer position has been retracted by the Government and he has received a three-month pay out. 

In a statement, Mr Handley wrote he had accepted the role a month ago but was informed this week "the Government will no longer follow through with their commitment and will not be making that appointment at this time".

"Given the unnecessary and sustained lack of transparency around the process and building pressure to rethink the approach, their decision to stop the process is understandable," he said.

The chief technology officer was intended to "drive a forward-looking digital agenda for New Zealand", said former Minister for Government Digital Services Clare Curran, when the role was announced last December. 

Mr Handley had returned to live in Auckland last weekend for the role, after living in New York for 10 years. 

"As the Government has now terminated my contract I have been offered a settlement payment as per the contract," he said. "The amount equates to three months pay plus reimbursement of my costs.

ONN 1 News at 6 promo image
For more on this story, watch 1 NEWS at 6pm. Source: 1 NEWS

"My family and I have decided not to accept the settlement money personally and instead donate the net proceeds towards a fund that supports ideas, programmes and grants that seek to tackle this societal issue in creative ways. I welcome collaboration from all communities on how we may do that."

The new Minister for Government Digital Services Megan Woods said the Government have put a “full stop” on the process of CTO.

She confirmed Mr Handley would be paid $107,500.

“As the new Minister I have asked officials to review the CTO role and provide advice on the best ways to drive a forward-looking digital agenda for New Zealand,” she said. 

It comes after MP Clare Curran was stripped of her position as Minister for Government Digital Services after not disclosing a meeting with Mr Handley previously.

Derek Handley says he’ll donate the compensation but is disappointed at the way the issue was handled. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Watch: Prince William's embarrassing 'Chinese food' gaffe while opening London's $25m Japan House

Prince William opened Japan House in London today, where he accidentally asked children in the building's restaurant if they'd "had much Chinese food", before swiftly apologising and correcting the gaffe to "Japanese food".

During the hour-long tour accompanied by Japanese Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso, William was shown how to make copper kettles, tried his hand at chopsticks and sampled some sashimi.

He revealed to the delight of the chef of the "Akira" restaurant in the building that he and his wife Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, "love sushi".

In a speech, the Duke of Cambridge described Japan House London as a bridge for ideas and creativity to flow between the two countries.

The newly-renovated Japan House cost more than $NZ25 million and aims to create a deepened understanding of Japan, building interest in the country as Tokyo prepares to host the 2020 Olympics Games.

Japan will also host the Rugby World Cup in 2019.

The royal was eating in the building’s restaurant with some children when he made the mistake. Source: Associated Press


Cameraman hangs on grimly as he's swept away by Hurricane Florence storm surge in North Carolina

A cameraman has been filmed clinging on as a storm surge from Hurricane Florence swept him off his feet at a North Carolina beach.

The cameraman from Live Storm Media can be seen in the video holding his camera as he’s dragged past a house at North Topsail Beach.

Eventually, he manages to cling on to the ground behind a tree.

The surge was caused by the outer bands of wind and rain from a weakened but still lethal Hurricane Florence.

The monster storm is set for a prolonged and potentially catastrophic drenching along the Southeast coast.

Florence's winds had dropped from a peak of 225 kph to 165 kph by midmorning, reducing the hurricane from a terrifying Category 4 to a 2.

But forecasters warned that the widening storm — and its likelihood of lingering around the coast day after day — will bring seawater surging onto land and torrential downpours.

"It truly is really about the whole size of this storm," National Hurricane Centre Director Ken Graham said. "The larger and the slower the storm is, the greater the threat and the impact - and we have that."

It’s predicted the fierce weather system will linger over the Carolina coast for days, not hours. Source: 1 NEWS

As of 3am (New Zealand time), Florence was centred about 230 kilometres southeast of Wilmington, its forward movement slowed to 17 kph. Hurricane-force winds extended 130 kilometres from its centre, with tropical-storm-force winds of up to 315 kilometres.

Forecasters said Florence's eye could come ashore Saturday morning around the North Carolina-South Carolina line. Then it is likely to hover along the coast Sunday, pushing up to nearly 4 metres of storm surge and unloading water on both states.

The forecast calls for as much as 102 centimetres of rain over seven days along the coast, with the deluge continuing even as the centre of the storm pushes its way over the Appalachian Mountains.

The result could be similar to what the Houston area saw during Hurricane Harvey just over a year ago: catastrophic inland flooding that could swamp homes, businesses, farms and industrial sites.