Auckland family demands answers over man's death at Samoan prison

An Auckland family is demanding answers from the Samoan Government five years after their son and brother died while being held at Tafai-Ngata prison near Apia.

Hans Dalton suffered from a mental illness and was found dead upside down in a water drum in 2012.

Time hasn't healed the pain for Hans Dalton's family. Five years on they've had no closure or answers.

"We feel there is a lot of unresolved issues and the people who did this to Hans have not been held to account," Mr Dalton's sister, Natasha Dalton, told 1 NEWS.

"So truth and justice has not been upheld in Hans' case."

Hans Dalton hadn't committed any crime, but he'd lost his medication during a cyclone while on holiday in Samoa.

After suffering an episode, officials put him in a prison cell supposedly for his own safety. Instead he was killed there.

"It's about that bigger picture of inadequate services. Services that are designed to be a resource to help and support people obviously failed very badly," Mr Dalton's mother Christine Wilson said.

Samoan Police first said Mr Dalton committed suicide, but later arrested a prisoner for murder, who was then cleared.

The New Zealand coroner's office has been trying to get basic information from Samoa for the last three years, but to no avail.

The Daltons are also suing the Samoan Government which is pushing for mediation.

The family wants the truth to come out, in the hope it will prevent future deaths.

Hans Dalton suffered from a mental illness and was found dead upside down in a water drum in 2012. Source: 1 NEWS



Major exhibition showcasing 500 years of Pacific art set to open in London

An exhibition showcasing 500 years of Pacific art is about to open to great fanfare in London.

It's one of the largest ever displays in the UK, with pieces by some of our best known Māori and Pasifika artists.

The work of Su'a Sulu'ape Paulo the Second has fascinated Kiwi photographer Mark Adams for four decades.

And now two of his prints capturing the Samoan tattoo process known as tatau are part of the major exhibition at the prestigious Royal Academy of Art in London.

"The tatau itself on the body is magnificent and powerful thing and very beautiful," Mr Adams told 1 NEWS in London. 

Mark Adams' work depicts the controversial globalisation of the Samoan tradition.

He's one of 10 contemporary Kiwi artists to feature in the Oceanic art show. 

So too are the Mata Aho Collective. They've spent the past week installing their piece Kiko Moana which they created last year.

"From conception to exhibition it took four of us working for nine months. It's a huge piece made out of layers and layers of blue tarp that we've stitched together," said Sarah Hudson of the Mata Aho Collective.

Bridget Reweti of the collective said: "Just as 250 years ago our people were making these amazing, unique works about their current day issues, we're doing the same thing, and making these works about our waterways."

Dozens of pieces have been carefully packaged, like a piano from Te Papa, and sent across the globe.

But some cultural treasures haven't travelled far, coming instead from European museums where they've been hidden away for generations.

"It's an incredible feeling to see these works and be in their presence. Some of them we've only read about and lots of them live overseas, so we've had a few tears," Ms Rewiti said. 

And there's sure to be plenty more when the exhibition opens to the public on Saturday.

In her first solo engagement, the Duchess of Sussex will tomorrow open the exhibition, giving it an extra publicity boost and providing Meghan Markle with a taste of what she might encounter in her upcoming trip Down Under.

It’s one of the largest ever displays in the UK. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

Australian firm to launch 'first kid friendly' mobile phone

An Australian firm is launching what it says is the first cyber-safe mobile phone for kids, targeting parents worried about their children's online habits.

ASX-listed cyber safety company Family Zone says the Android phone - which it aims to have in stores in time for Christmas - has built-in controls that allow parents to restrict usage.

Parents control the settings on the $199 FZ One phone from their own devices, monitoring websites and imposing time restrictions on games and applications.

But the child still has a degree of autonomy, Family Zone managing director Tim Levy said.

"You might be comfortable giving your child access to Snapchat from ages 13 or 14, and if you're using a child-designed phone bought from Harvey Norman you probably can't do that," Mr Levy told AAP.

"With our device you can give your child access to Snapchat, but you can limit when they use it, for instance during school time."

The company has a school community platform, giving participating schools control over how the phones are used throughout the day.

"It changes the argument about banning mobile phones: that isn't the objective here," Mr Levy said.

"Most kids are happy to not be exposed to things that are inappropriate, they just want to play the things they want, and talk to their friends."

The company declined to say which retailers would stock the phone.

The device comes with a free 12-month subscription to the required Family Zone app.

Shares in Family Zone were trading 1.5 cents, or 4.8 per cent, higher at 32 5 cents, at 1209 AEST.

Facebook icon mobile app generic file smartphone
Facebook app on smartphone (File picture). Source: istock.com


Topics

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Man labelled 'stupid' for swimming with great white shark during feeding frenzy off Sydney coast

An Australian man has been called "stupid" after filming himself swimming next to a great white shark off Sydney's coast yesterday.

A report from 9NEWS outlines how Jai Kiggins jumped into the water at Wattamolla Beach in the Royal National Park after hearing about a shark feeding frenzy on a whale carcass in the area.

"Probably one of the craziest things I've ever seen you know," Mr Kiggins told 9NEWS. "The great white came straight up like, face to face and then just turned and kicked away."

While he admitted that swimming next to a shark feeding frenzy was not the smartest move he said: "If you've got the balls to do it, I don't see why not".

Shaun Elwood , from NSW Office of Environment and Heritage, wasn't impressed with the men's stunt, simply calling the move "stupid". 

Jai Kiggins went swimming after getting a tip-off about a shark feeding frenzy off the Sydney coast. Source: Nine


Bill Cosby’s sexual assault accusers hope to see him behind bars this week

Two of the women who have accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault decades ago said overnight they hope he will be sentenced to prison time this week.

Bill Cosby, left, arrives with his wife, Camille, for his sexual assault trial. Source: Associated Press

Lise-Lotte Lublin and Chelan Lasha, who appeared with attorney Gloria Allred, also said they hoped they would be allowed to read victim impact statements before Cosby is sentenced on three felony counts of aggravated indecent assault .

Cosby was convicted of drugging and molesting a woman at his suburban Philadelphia home in 2004 in what became the first celebrity trial of the #MeToo era. A two day-sentencing hearing begins tomorrow in Montgomery County.

"I really think it's important that he spend some time behind bars," said Lublin, who said Cosby assaulted her when she was 23 in 1989. The then-model said Cosby prodded her to take two drinks to relax. "At some point, he should acknowledge what he's done, and do the time for the crime."

Lasha, who wept during her testimony at the trial last spring, said she prays Cosby is sentenced to 30 years. "He deserves every year."Lasha said she was a teenage aspiring actress in 1986 when she lay immobilized and unable to speak as Cosby touched her breast and rubbed himself against her leg. She said he gave her a pill he described as an antihistamine."He ruined my life at 17 years old," Lasha said. "I have nightmares about it this very day, and I want them to go away, just like him."

More than 60 other women accuse Cosby of sexual misconduct during his 50-year show business career. Five were allowed to testify, while others came to watch the court proceedings.

Allred said she believed the sentencing would be "sending a message" in the #MeToo era. She said Cosby should be sentenced to "a substantial period of time," shouldn't receive probation or house arrest, and shouldn't remain free pending appeal."Mr. Cosby should not be treated differently because he is a celebrity," she said. "Judgment day has finally arrived for this convicted sexual predator who betrayed the trust of so many women."

Lawyers for the 81-year-old, legally blind Cosby are expected to stress his age, health problems, legacy and philanthropy. Prosecutors hope to call other accusers to paint Cosby as a sexual predator deserving of prison.