TODAY |

Israel Folau faces end to Australian rugby career


Wallabies superstar Israel Folau has 48 hours to respond or face the sack after being served with a breach notice by Rugby Australia over his controversial social media posts.

RA CEO Raelene Castle said Folau had been charged with a "high level" code of conduct breach and its integrity unit had recommended his contract should be terminated.

He can either accept that finding or ask for a code of conduct hearing.

"Rugby Australia and New South Wales Rugby Union have today served Israel Folau with a breach notice over the posts on social media platforms Twitter and Instagram on April 10," Castles said.

"Rugby Australia Integrity Unit deemed that Israel had committed a high-level breach of the professional players' code of conduct, warranting termination of his employment contract."

Castles and Waratahs CEO Andrew Hore addressed throngs of reporters this afternoon after the former star Wallabies fullback was handed the breach notice by Rugby Australia four days after posting a homophobic message to social media.

Folau earlier said he would be willing to leave the sport for his faith, telling the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday, "First and foremost, I live for God now.

"Whatever He wants me to do, I believe His plans for me are better than whatever I can think. If that's not to continue on playing, so be it," he said.

"In saying that, obviously I love playing footy and if it goes down that path I'll definitely miss it. But my faith in Jesus Christ is what comes first."