NZR Chief confirms All Blacks focused on 'Plan A' against Barbarians for November Test over clash with England

share

New Zealand Rugby has confirmed the All Blacks won't play England at Twickenham in November.

The rumour mill went into overdrive over the past week, suggesting the match was being lined up.

NZR chief Steve Tew confirms they were in discussions with England but the extra Test won't go ahead.

Tew says that despite reports to the contrary, the English Union played with a straight bat with nothing underhand.

However, other matters had already been resolved in and around a fixture against the Barbarians invitation team on November 4th at Twickenham.

Tew said that playing England was "one step too far" with the All Blacks' busy 2017 schedule.
Source: 1 NEWS

The Barbarians said in a statement: "The Barbarian FC today received approval from the RFU to stage the Barbarians v New Zealand match at Twickenham on November 4, 2017.

"The Barbarians approached the RFU last month with a request to stage this fixture at Twickenham and the request has been granted, replacing a Barbarians v Australia match previously approved."

Tew says rather than working further on Plan B, the England test, they're sticking with Plan A, the Baabaas game, although that still needs to be ratified by World Rugby.

Tew confirms the next time the All Blacks will definitely play England will be on the Northern Hemisphere end of year tour, next November, 2018.

loading error

refresh