'No one wants to see it in Italy' - Tauranga could host 2021 America's Cup 'if Auckland doesn't work out'

Tauranaga is being considered as an alternative to host city for the 2021 America's Cup.

Tauranga Yacht Club commodore Nick Wrinch hosted a meeting with Team New Zealand members Dick Meacham, Kevin Shoebridge and Ray Davies on Wednesday, pitching the idea of considering Tauranga as an alternative host city to Auckland for the America's Cup Challenger series and the America's Cup finals between January and March 2021.

The venue for the event has to be announced by August 2018 and if a city hasn't been decided by then Italy will be hosting the regatta.

Team NZ boss Grant Dalton explains a key part of the 2021 America's Cup rules Source: 1 NEWS

Wrinch spoke to the Bay of Plenty Times and said he was confident of Tauranga's chances of hosting the America's Cup and that building the infrastructure to house the event village at the Port of Tauranga wouldn't be too big of a challenge.

"The guys are very much the type of people who are used to dealing with problems and sorting things out. We look at it and think 'how would you ever do that' and they look at it and go 'let's fix it'. They don't see mountains as big as we do," said Wrinch.

"Look, I still think it is a small chance we would do it in Tauranga but it is a possible chance. The key thing is to have an open mind."

Wrinch said Team New Zealand's delegation team weren't too keen to see the America's Cup regatta move to Italy.

"So they were thinking if Auckland doesn't work out, then have we got other options in New Zealand we could consider. I think that was really the purpose of their trip.

"I think they are also quite keen for the news to come out that they had been in Tauranga. It might just wake the ideas up of a few people in Auckland and not to take for granted that it will be in Auckland come what may.

"If that is our contribution, then it is probably quite a useful one as no one wants to see it in Italy."

As the teams depart, Bermuda has begun packing up the $25m America's Cup base.
Source: 1 NEWS



Watch: 'Grossly inadequate' - outrage over two week ban for jockey who punched horse in stomach

There are calls for an apprentice jockey to be banned for life after punching a horse ahead of a race at Port Lincoln, on South Australia's Eyre Peninsula.

Thoroughbred Racing SA says Dylan Caboche's was observed striking his mount She's Reneldasgirl ahead of race two at Port Lincoln yesterday.

It says stewards conducted an immediate inquiry and suspended Caboche for two weeks for misconduct.

"Thoroughbred Racing SA does not condone and will not tolerate such behaviour and it is hoped this penalty, which will remain on the rider's record and will impact his earning ability, will send a strong signal to others," it said in a statement.

Caboche has a right to appeal, however, the Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses called for him to be banned for life.

"If jockeys can't control their tempers, they don't deserve to be on the racetrack," communications manager Ward Young said in a statement.

"If this is what we see on race day, we can only imagine what goes on behind the scenes."

Mr Young said the two-week ban for Caboche was "grossly inadequate".

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Watch: 'I want to test his chin' - Joe Parker sends message to Anthony Joshua as he eyes 2018 showdown

Kiwi heavyweight WBO champion Joseph Parker and his camp have signalled that they are in talks with British boxing star Anthony Joshua and his team, at a press conference in Auckland today.

DUCO Events promoter David Higgins said that their first fight for Parker next year is to face former WBA heavyweight champion – Aussie fighter Lucas Browne.

But Higgins also said that they are in talks with IBF world champion Joshua’s camp, but won’t give the green light fight unless they agree on respectable purse and split.

"Only if the money is right," said Higgins.

Parker said he wants to unify the heavyweight titles against Joshua.

Parker's promoters say they have four potential fights lined up next year for the heavyweight WBO champion. Source: 1 NEWS

"I want to fight Joshua, he has got two belts and I have one belt," said Parker.

"I want to test his chin and put on a great show, that's what I want to do.

"The ultimate fight is to fight him (Anthony Joshua) or (Deontay) Widler. Joshua is like the preferred option for us."

Parker’s camp announced today that they are in negotiations with setting up a fight with British boxing star Anthony Joshua. Source: 1 NEWS