Silver Ferns beaten by England in dramatic final quarter comeback win




The Silver Ferns have lost their first netball Test to England in almost three years, going down 49-45 in Auckland.

Up 42-39 tonight with just over 10 minutes remaining, the Kiwis conceded a flurry of late goals to Roses offensive duo Helen Housby and Kadeen Corbin. They netted a combined eight goals in the final five minutes to win the match.

The loss all but rules out a Quad Series triumph for Janine Southby's troops, who will again face the Roses in this year's three-Test Taini Jamison Trophy.

They had not lost to England since October 2014.

Yet they can have few complaints, having struggled to produce the goods in the final third or supply ball to attackers Bailey Mes and Te Paea Selby-Rickit.

Matched in aggression and fight early, the Silver Ferns led 14-10 after the first stanza on the back of some shoddy English shooting and lead-up play.

Roses goal attack Housby missed three shots in the first quarter alone, while New Zealand picked up five intercepts across the first half.

Te Paea Selby-Rickit of New Zealand defends against Beth Cobden of England. 2017 Netball Quad Series match, New Zealand Silver Ferns v England Roses at The Trusts Arena, Auckland, New Zealand. 30 August 2017 © Copyright Photo: Anthony Au-Yeung /

Te Paea Selby-Rickit of New Zealand defends against Beth Cobden of England.

Source: Photosport

Yet the English - Housby and Corbin in particular - lifted in the following stanza, briefly leading 20-19 and going into halftime three behind at 26-23.

Rather than fall away, however, the English kept up the fight and were duly rewarded, reeling in the Kiwis and putting them away in the final minutes.

English centre Serena Guthrie was a constant presence around the court, ably assisted by fellow midcourters Beth Cobden and Chelsea Pitman.

By the end of the match, the Roses had secured nine intercepts to seven, made two more defensive rebounds than the Kiwis and turned over less ball.

loading error