Kiwi driver Brendon Hartley has spoken out about his recent sacking by Formula 1 side Toro Rosso, having returned home to New Zealand for the holiday period.
After a season dogged by car issues, 29-year old Hartley was last month axed by Toro Rosso, replaced by Thai-British driver Alexander Albon for the 2019 Formula 1 season.
Speaking to 1 NEWS today, Hartley spoke candidly about having his Formula 1 driver's seat taken away from him, just halfway through his Toro Rosso contract.
"I was definitely disappointed after the final race in Abu Dhabi - to be told I wasn't gong to continue for next year," Hartley said.
Despite the disappointment though, Hartley is choosing to look back fondly on for what many drivers will only ever be a dream.
"But that being said, there's a lot for me to be positive about, happy about.
"I know that it's a dream for many, many drivers to even reach Formula 1, and I was given this huge opportunity that most people don't get, and I didn't see coming a year and a half ago.
"I did hold my head high when I left the paddock on that Sunday evening, I knew that I'd done everything I could.
"I was proud of what I did, I evolved through the year, I got better and better and finished the season very strong."
Hartley was also optimistic that despite losing his seat with Toro Rosso, life in Formula 1 may not be over.
"There's 20 seats in Formula 1, it can be musical chairs at times.
"I'm now a driver that has a full season under my belt, I've got my super license which is pretty hard to come by.
"You just never know what happens."