Watch: 'I'm happy with the time I've had here' - departing Warriors prop ready to finish strong, as he weighs other offers

The Warriors have not offered interchange prop Charlie Gubb a new contract with his current deal running out at the end of this season - but that's a good thing for both parties.

Gubb, who has played 37 NRL games for the Warriors since debuting in Perth against South Sydney in 2013, told 1 NEWS today even if the club had offered him a new contract, he wouldn't have taken it.

"With the way things panned out, na - I'm happy I'm going," he said.

Gubb rose in the ranks to his first start last season after 27 interchange appearances but has since fallen out of favour with Warriors coach Stephen Kearney and has been playing for the reserve grade side for most of this season.

"I'm happy with the time I've had here," he said.

"I'm really lucky that the Warriors gave me an opportunity but I see where they're going so I'm happy I'm off as well."

The Warriors are currently on a six game losing streak and will miss the NRL playoffs for the sixth straight year.

The Kiwi NRL club is also set to lose big name players such as Kieran Foran, Ryan Hoffman and Ben Matulino at the end of the season as it attempts to control rumours a change in ownership is also on the cards.

Gubb said he was upset he was leaving his friends and coaches at the club, but was happy knowing he had options elsewhere.

The 27-year-old Wellingtonian wouldn't tell 1 NEWS where offers were coming from, but offers reported in the past have come from teams such as the Cronulla Sharks and North Queensland Cowboys.

The Warriors play the Rabbitohs in Sydney on Friday evening at ANZ Stadium.

Charlie Gubb wasn't offered a new deal by the Warriors and concedes it's a good time for a fresh start. Source: 1 NEWS


Watch: Kiwi Ferns star barges through Roosters defence to score for Broncos

Brisbane have all but cemented their spot in the NRLW final after overcoming some early nerves to convincingly beat the Sydney Roosters 14-4.

It was the Broncos' second win from as many matches and cemented their status as the team to beat in the inaugural women's competition at Allianz Stadium tonight.

Not even the return of Jillaroos prop Ruan Sims could inspire the Roosters, who are winless after two games and out of the running to advance.

To make matters worse, they could be without star centre Isabelle Kelly next week after a crusher tackle on Meg Ward midway through the second half.

The Broncos led 10-0 at halftime but the scoreline could have easily been reversed after the Roosters bombed two tries in the opening 13 minutes.

Back-rower Vanessa Foliaki looked certain to score before being held up by a desperate Chelsea Baker.

Roosters fullback Karina Brown also let a try go begging when she failed to ground a loose grubber, and from there the Broncos took control.

Ali Brigginshaw dummied her way through the line before Teuila Fotu-Moala crashed over five minutes later to give the Broncos a healthy lead at the break.

Fotu-Moala was sensational, running for 122m as well as making two linebreaks and four tackle busts.

Broncos centre Ward delivered the coup de grace seven minutes after halftime.

Kelly got the Roosters' only points when she crossed on the back of a weight of possession with two minutes remaining.

After their 30-4 romp over the Dragons last week, the Broncos are the only unbeaten side in the competition.

They would have to lose to the Warriors next week and have several results run against them to miss the final.


Bulldogs apologise for Mad Monday antics but say 'invasion of privacy' has hurt players and families

Canterbury have apologised in a letter to members following the NRL club's Mad Monday gone wrong, and say the "invasion of privacy" that followed has taken its toll on the players and families involved.

The club was fined a record $250,000 by the NRL for misbehaviour and police also laid charges after naked antics at the Harbour View Hotel in Sydney's Rocks were revealed by media outlets.

A co-authored letter from chair Lynne Anderson and chief executive Andrew Hill released on Friday, confirmed the club has reacted to the NRL's breach notice, but would not go into further detail.

The club's response to the breach notice will remain confidential as the NRL's integrity unit's investigation continues - a decision on whether the fine stands is not expected until after the grand final on September 30.

Players Adam Elliott and Asipeli Fine, who were charged by police with wilful and obscene exposure, were fined $25,000 each ($10,000 suspended) by the club.

Marcelo Montoya $10,000 ($5000 suspended) and Zac Woolford $10,000 ($5000 suspended) were also sanctioned by the Bulldogs.

"As a club we were disappointed at some of the behaviours that took place at our end of season celebration," the letter stated.

"All parties involved have acknowledged there was behaviour on the day that was not up to the standards expected by our club and that stronger processes should have been in place to prevent and react to it differently."

Anderson and Hill, who revealed the same function venue had been used by the Bulldogs in 2016 and last year, also took aim at the media coverage of the incident.

"The invasion of privacy that has followed and the subsequent stories that evolved have had a major impact on the individuals involved, their families and the club," they wrote.

"What we need to remember here is that these are good people who have worked hard within the community and our club."

Anderson and Hill clarified that young playmaker Lachlan Lewis was not at the event, and reports a GoFundMe page had been set up by a member of staff was incorrect.

They said the Bulldogs are continuing their internal review and will "put steps in place to make sure that we respond to the learnings of this".

Front page of the Daily Telegraph of Bulldogs' Mad Monday celebrations.
Front page of the Daily Telegraph of Bulldogs' Mad Monday celebrations. Source: Daily Telegraph



Watch: Damning footage shows former Panthers captain-turned-trainer conducting team during playoffs win over Warriors

The Panthers have come under fire for the way they are using their trainer after vision surfaced from their playoff win over the Warriors showing former captain Peter Wallace directing the team.

Wallace, who retired midway through this season with an ACL injury, was caught on camera spending a hefty amount of time on the ANZ Stadium turf on Saturday night.

While out there, he is seen multiple times yelling to players and directing them as the Panthers went on to win 27-12 and eliminate the Warriors.

Former player and Australian journalist Paul Kent is demanding the NRL take action.

The 27-12 loss brings the Warriors' 2018 campaign to an end. Source: 1 NEWS

"It's a disgrace," Kent told NRL360.

"The NRL need to sit down and say, 'look, this isn’t under-8s where coaches are allowed to be on the field'.

"What we face a risk of now is that Peter Wallace played this season for Penrith and retired mid-season - he knows all the plays, he knows their structure, he knows what they are trying to achieve because he trained with this team as the dummy-half and one of the spine.

"If we allow this to continue it will be a disaster."

The way the rules around trainers work in the NRL currently is that they are allowed on the field until the fourth tackle and must be off the field when their team is defending.

Kent says it's ruining the game.

"What Wallace is doing and we see [former Broncos player-turned-trainer] Alfie Langer doing it as well, is that they are directing players around the park," Kent said.

"It’s like we are using a remote control. Give the game back to the players."


'No I'm not going to answer any further' - Fired up Rabbitohs coach shuts down reporter, responds to lewd video claims

South Sydney coach Anthony Seibold admits being blindsided by the club's investigation into a lewd video scandal that has rocked their NRL finals series.

One day before their NRL semi-final against St George Illawarra, the Rabbitohs are looking into accusations two stars exposed their private parts without consent in a video chat in May.

News Corp Australia reported a 23-year-old woman emailed the club about the incident in May following the club's win over the Warriors in New Zealand.

But Seibold said he was only informed about the situation on Thursday, while the NRL were only made aware this week.

"I was briefed on the story yesterday and the accusations yesterday. Obviously the club's just put out a statement this morning, which I've just been briefed on," Seibold said on Friday.

"Our club treat the accusations seriously, as do the NRL integrity unit. In consultation between the integrity unit and the club, my understanding is our investigation's ongoing."

Rabbitohs fan.
NRL Premiership rugby league. Vodafone Warriors v South Sydney Rabbitohs. Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand. Saturday 26 May 2018. © Copyright photo: Andrew Cornaga /
Rabbitohs flag. Source: Photosport

The report said the woman emailed the club the day after the alleged incident as a "funny" FaceTime chat became explicit, leaving her feeling "violated and disgusted".

The woman is believed to own screen shots of one player pulling down his pants to expose his genitals, while the other showed his backside.

After a club spokesperson replied assuring the woman the matter was being taken "seriously", she decided to go public after follow-up emails to South Sydney went unreturned.

There are suggestions the initial email was anonymous, while follow-up correspondence were inadvertently tagged as spam.

Seibold confirmed independent contractors are investigating the email trail, while the club said on Thursday it had only received the woman's contact details on Thursday.

They have since attempted to make contact.

Seibold was irked after being asked by journalists to comment on his thoughts of his players' actions, threatening to walk away from the press conference.

"No I am not going to answer any further there, they are accusations at the moment," said Seibold.

"I said I'm not going to make any comment if we continue down this root I am going to walk away.

"I am not obliged to talk about that this morning, I'm obliged to talk about the game tomorrow night and that's what I am going to talk about going forward."

Seibold said he hadn't seen any photos and was unsure about the players' mindset as he had yet to address the group about the matter.

"It's a little bit of chaos thrown in front of us," Seibold said.

"We've got the players in here this morning. We've got our last practice just before a semi-final game.

"It's not ideal that these accusations come out and they're front page news. It's not what anybody wants. It's not what I want. It's not what our game needs or wants either."

Seibold believed the club has acted professionally over the incident.

"I think the club has handled it professionally from what I've seen and what I've been briefed on. It's never ideal to hear something like this" he said.

"It's been a really positive year for the Rabbitohs on and off the field. I'd rather be talking about the game tomorrow night. I appreciate the interest from the wider community around this."

The NRL have been contacted for comment.

Coach Anthony Seibold was briefed on the allegations yesterday, admitting it was an off-field distraction ahead of his side’s match against the Dragons. Source: Nine