Warriors blow 12-point lead to fall to late defeat against Rabbitohs

The Warriors have wasted a 12-point lead against the South Sydney Rabbitohs, slipping to a 28-24 defeat at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

Coming into the match off a 26-10 victory over the Gold Coast Titans, the Warriors were rocked early as halfback Blake Green was scratched before kick-off due to a groin injury. Gerard Beale was forced to fill in as a makeshift halfback.

Despite losing Green, the Warriors nearly opened the scoring in the first three minutes, with Beale off-loading to Ken Maumalo on the Rabbitohs' line, only to spill the ball and force a scrum.

The Warriors looked to have opened the scoring just minutes later, with captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck breaking through the Rabbitohs' line and off-loading out the back for David Fusitu'a to score, only to see the last pass called forward.

Tuivasa-Sheck wouldn't be denied though, slipping through to score with the Warriors camped on the Rabbitohs' line to open the scoring, Chanel Harris-Tavita converting for a 6-0 lead.

The Warriors appeared to have scored one of the tries of the seaon, with Tohu Harris kicking through for Harris-Tavita, who in turn found Ken Maumalo with another stab through the Rabbitohs line and score in the corner.

Replays would prove Harris-Tavita to be offside from the initial kick through and wiping out the try.

The lead wouldn't last though, with Rabbitohs five-eighth Cody Walker claiming a try after his own kick rebounded off the post, pouncing on the loose ball to level the scores.

A run from dummy half by Damien Cook left the Warriors bamboozled, with the Rabbitohs hooker putting Walker through for his second try in as many minutes as South Sydney took the lead midway through the first half.

Jazz Tevaga would hit back for the Warriors though, spinning his way through the Rabbitohs' defence to score, another Harris-Tavita conversion sending the two sides into the break at 12-all.

After the break though, the Warriors came out swinging, with Tohu Harris putting the Kiwi side ahead once more, before Sam Lisone saw the lead streatch out to 12 points.

Ethan Lowe scored after the hour mark to bring the Rabbitohs to within six points, making the most of an overlap on the Warriors' right edge to score in the corner.

Walker would complete his hat-trick late in the second half, Cook again playing provider as the Rabbitohs leveled the scores at 24-all to set up a tense finale.

With the scores level, Walker made a dart for the line to claim the match-winner, with the referee sending the decision up to the Bunker where the try was awarded - giving the Rabbitohs victory.

The win sees the Rabbitohs move to second in the NRL's overall standings, while the Warriors remain ninth on points differential.