Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett admits there is still a possibility he could be sacked by the Broncos after refusing to stand down from the NRL club.
The on-again, off-again coaching swap with South Sydney's Anthony Seibold has stalled again after Bennett announced on Friday he would remain in 2019 following a meeting with players and staff at Red Hill.
"I have been terribly consistent with it and nothing has changed today," he said.
"I have informed players, staff and the CEO that I am staying. I will honour my 2019 contract which was always my plan."
Bennett said he was committed to reporting for his first official Broncos pre- season training session on Monday but admitted he may yet be sacked by the NRL club.
"There is a possibility. There is always a possibility. I don't know, ask them," Bennett said.
Bennett denied he had been publicly critical of Broncos hierarchy about their handling of the coaching situation and claimed they were all on the same page for 2019.
"I don't think I have been critical of them publicly. I think I have said things the way they were," he said.
"But that's all behind us now, we are all moving on, we will be one.
"We will try and be the best team we can be."
Asked why he was staying, Bennett said: "The players, staff I work with, the fans. I just felt I would be letting them down if I left a year before I should."
"The (immediate) Souths move was never instigated by me," Bennett said.
"I did a contract with Souths for 2020 and 2021. We never talked about '19.
"It started when I was overseas (coaching England) and I got drawn into it."
The swap appeared on again after Bennett called in players and staff for a 2pm (NZT) meeting at Red Hill on Friday.
Speculation was rife that the ongoing saga would finally come to a head with Seibold believed to be flying into Brisbane on Friday.
The swap had been mooted for months after Bennett confirmed he would coach at South Sydney on a two-year deal from 2020 - the same year Seibold had agreed to mentor Brisbane on a four-season contract.