Now that it's finally confirmed, the NRL's coach swap between Wayne Bennett and Anthony Seibold is being hailed as win-win by Brisbane and South Sydney greats.
After more than a month of toing and froing, Bennett to the Rabbitohs and Seibold to the Broncos is happening after a dramatic weekend even by NRL standards.
The Broncos sacked Bennett by voicemail on Sunday, claiming their relationship with the only coach to have guided the club to a premiership - and six no less - had deteriorated to the point of no return for the 68-year-old.
"I made multiple phone calls and unfortunately I had to communicate the decision over voice message and email," said Broncos chief executive Paul White.
"You might ask was that disappointing? Yes, it was. But such was the nature of this whole issue, it was important we had it resolved, particularly before the players return (for pre-season training on today)."
"Due to the events of recent weeks, some of which have been made public and others which shall not be, Wayne Bennett is now not the best person to lead the club as coach," White said, adding the terms of the termination were confidential.
With both coaches signed to swap clubs from 2020, their positions appeared untenable for 2019 but Bennett stubbornly clung on, insisting he was going nowhere.
Only on Friday, the 68-year-old had stunned and angered the Broncos by promising to dig his heels in and stick out the final year of his contract after Brisbane and Souths thought they had agreed to a swap for 2019.
It was the last straw for the Broncos, who finally opted to sack the competition's most experienced mentor after Seibold launched a stinging attack on Bennett on Saturday and revealed the emotional toll the saga had taken on his young family.
"I have had a gutful," Seibold told News Corp Australia.
"I've been sitting here for four weeks and feeling like a punching bag.
"It's not acceptable and it's not fair."
White said the whole saga was too disruptive on the playing group and that fans and sponsors "expect that we'll field a team in round one of 2019 that has the best chance of winning a premiership".
He agreed that the Broncos - and their fans and major shareholders - thought the toxic stand-off was unfair on all and that the only way to give the club a chance of winning the competition in 2019 was to let Bennett go.
"The reaction of the players will be very positive and I don't say that out of any disrespect to Wayne," White said.
"It's just been the case that disruption over the last six months, which has culminated in the events of the last week have been disruptive and players just require certainty.
"While today's announcement is unfortunate, we have the ability to move forward."
Former premiership-winning Bronco Justin Hogdes and Rabbitohs great Mark Carroll believe the right decision has been made.
"I think (Seibold) will do really well there," Carroll said Fox Sports' Bill and Boz program.
"And Wayne will be a wonderful coach for Souths."