Auckland Rugby League officially pull out of deal to buy Warriors

share

Source:

1 NEWS

Auckland Rugby League have officially withdrawn from the deal that would have seen them take the controlling stake in the Warriors NRL side.

Ryan Hoffman with Ben Matulino
Tigers v Warriors NRL rugby league match at Campbelltown Stadium, Campbelltown Australia. Saturday 5 March 2016. Photo: Paul Seiser/Photosport.nz

Warriors forwards Ryan Hoffman with Ben Matulino.

Source: Photosport

After the club's current owner Eric Watson decided to vacate his position as owner of the club, Auckland Rugby League through the Carlaw Heritage Trust looked to have all but purchased the Warriors outright, reportedly agreeing a price last month.

However, today Auckland Rugby League chairman Cameron McGregor confirmed that any prospective deal was now off, with both parties unable to strike a deal.

"I can confirm the contract is at an end. Quite simply we couldn't agree on terms with the Warriors," he told NZME.

"We're very, very disappointed. We spent a lot of time and money in our efforts and, yes we are very disappointed at this outcome. It wasn't what we were hoping for," McGregor said.

The news is a setback for the struggling Warriors, although 1 NEWS reported earlier today that an American group are believed to be considering purchasing the club ahead of the 2018 season.

loading error

refresh