Watch: A-League player tries to drag unconscious Roar player after horror tackle

A Ben Halloran brace has delivered Adelaide United a 2-1 victory against an injury-hit Brisbane Roar and second spot on the A-League ladder.

Brisbane's loss at Adelaide's Coopers Stadium in a feisty Friday night fixture was compounded by injuries to in-form striker Adam Taggart, Frenchman Eric Bautheac and Stefan Mauk.

Taggart, who had scored five goals in five games entering the fixture, limped from the field with a groin injury after 35 minutes.

Bautheac hobbled off in the 55th minute after copping a knock to his right knee in a collision with Reds defender Taylor Regan, who was later sent off for a face-grapple on Mauk in a separate incident.

And Mauk was knocked out - and given a straight red-card - for a studs-up crash with Adelaide's Craig Goodwin in injury-time which sparked a heated sideline argument between coaches Marco Kurz and John Aloisi.

Halloran slotted the initial two goals of the game before Brisbane's Henrique revived the visitors with a poacher's goal.

Halloran banked his first A-League goals since 2013 when, ironically, he scored for Brisbane in a win against Adelaide.

Halloran, who has spent the past five seasons in Germany and Japan, scored his first with a crisp first-time left footed clip in the 43rd minute.

And four minutes after haltime, the 26-year-old added another when he tapped-in after teammate Ryan Kitto sped towards the byline and launched a speculative cut-back pass.

A diving Roar gloveman Young attacked the ball but parried into the path of Halloran, who converted from two metres.

But Adelaide had to endure a nervy final 25 minutes after Henrique, who replaced Taggart, replied for Brisbane in the 67th minute.

Henrique slid past Adelaide's defence to latch onto a low cross from fellow sub Dylan Wenzel Halls to score from close-range.

Adelaide played the final 20 minutes with 10-men after Regan was sent off after an unseemly melee involving a mass of players.

Regan, who had earlier been yellow-carded, placed his fingers in the face of Brisbane's Mauk and copped another yellow after the scrap was reviewed by the video assistant referee.

Mauk was then marched in injury-time when red-carded after a collision with Goodwin left the Roar recruit prone on the turf as another melee ensued.