A-League's season restart in trouble after trio of clubs fail to leave Victoria for second-straight night

The A-League's restart is in serious jeopardy, following a farcical second night of attempted travel for three of the league's clubs.

Cameron Devlin dribbles past Andrew Durante Source: Photosport

Melbourne-based Western United, Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City were supposed to fly to Canberra on Monday night with Victoria currently facing a concerning growth in Covid-19 cases.

Those plans were cancelled when Canberra Airport was closed due to fog.

Last night, the teams attempted to get out of Victoria again, before the midnight deadline for the state's border closure.

They met at AAMI park and boarded buses for the airport but were stuck at the airport hangar for 1.5 hours.

Teams were reportedly informed that quarantine rules would have forced them to isolate in Canberra for 14 days, before being able to move to Sydney.

That forced another u-turn, with players returning home to await further instruction.

“We will now begin the process to seek exemptions from the NSW government to allow the teams to enter NSW for them to continue their season," FFA's Greg O’Rourke said.

“If we find it necessary to revise the match schedule we will do so accordingly and will announce once confirmed. However, at this time, the schedule remains the same.”

The PFA has issued a statement this afternoon as well, saying, "what the players and their families have had to endure over the past 48 hours is unacceptable".

“The lack of clarity, the ad-hoc planning and shifting commitments have left the players embarrassed, frustrated and entirely lacking confidence in the process.

“Whilst the situation is complex, what the players require is simple; a reliable and feasible plan that does not shift the game’s inability to effectively manage these challenges solely on to players and their families.

“Responsibility sits with FFA to present and then execute an achievable resolution that will ensure the completion of the A-League season and does not create further distress for the players.”

The first match since the lockdown is supposed to be Victory v United on Thursday 16 July.

More to come.