Video: Black Caps not afraid of wounded Australia ahead of tri-series

The Black Caps aren't worried about a cricketing backlash from Australia, ahead of their T20 tri-series opener in Sydney this weekend. 

After going down 4-1 in the recently completed ODI series against England, Australia find themselves in a white-ball crisis, having lost their last two series.

However, the Black Caps aren't concerned about any kind of fight back, saying that they'll prepare no differently ahead of Saturday's opening match.

Speaking to media today, opener Colin Munro said that the wounded Australians were no more dangerous than usual.

"I don't think so," he said.

"Australia in Australia, it's going to be tough."

"But if we focus on what we can control out there and do what we can do best – we've been number one in the past so there's no reason why we can't get back there."

The Aussies are in a white ball slump ahead of facing NZ and England. Source: 1 NEWS



'I'll be right' – blockbusting opener Colin Munro declares himself fit and ready to face Australia

Black Caps opening batsman Colin Munro says he's fit for this weekend's opening Twenty20 International tri-series opener against Australia in Sydney.

Munro, 30, missed his side's deciding loss to Pakistan in Tauranga earlier this week with a hamstring injury, unable to help New Zealand as they fell to an 18-run loss to surrender the three match series 2-1.

However, as the team flew to Australia this afternoon, Munro confidently assured media that he'll be fit to play Saturday's series opener.

"Getting there slowly," he said.

"I'll be right for Saturday so that's the main thing."

Munro also said that he was itching to get back out on the field, frustrated at not being able to play in Pakistan series decider.

"Obviously you want to play in big games and a series decider's a big game."

"Unfortunately I wasn't there. It was hard to watch, but hopefully we can turn things around real quickly."

The Black Caps batsman missed the Pakistan series decider with a hamstring injury. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

MCG to host men's and women's T20 Cricket World Cup finals in 2020

The MCG will host stand-alone finals for the men's and women's World Twenty20s after Cricket Australia promised to give both tournaments equal billing.

Ten countries will compete in the women's T20 in February and March of 2020, before 16 men's teams arrive for their tournament in October and November of that year.

Both semi-finals for the women's tournament will be held in Sydney, while the men's will be split between the SCG and Adelaide Oval before both culminate in the 100,000-seat MCG.

The tournament will mark the first time the men's and women's competitions have been split when both played in the same year.

It comes after 24,000 people crammed into a sold-out Lord's in London last July for the final of the women's 50-over World Cup.

"Australia is a sporting nation, with diverse and passionate fans who love cricket," organising committee chief executive Nick Hockey said.

"We've designed ICC World T20, comprising stand-alone women's and men's events, to be more inclusive, more accessible and more connected than ever before, so that everyone can join in."

Eight cities in total will be used between the two tournaments, with Hobart and Geelong to feature in the men's group stage while Canberra, the WACA, Junction Oval in Melbourne and Spotless Stadium to each host women's group matches.

Australia's six main venues - including Perth's new Optus Stadium and the Bellerive Oval in Hobart - will then be used for the Super 12 stage of the men's tournament.

MCG


Topics