TODAY |

Cricket Australia upholds ball-tampering bans on Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft

A failed push to soften the Cape Town trio's bans is officially over, having ended amicably as Australian cricket's warring parties start to smoke the peace pipe.

Cricket Australia (CA) and the players' union have agreed to disagree after the governing body refused to soften any aspect of Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft's punishments.

CA's seven-person board decided unanimously the terms and length of the suspensions, issued in response to the Cape Town cheating scandal, will not change.

The board studied a formal submission from the Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA), lodged shortly after an independent report suggested CA should shoulder some responsibility for the sandpaper scandal.

The verdict, prior to being made public, was relayed during a phone call from CA's interim chairman Earl Eddings to ACA president Greg Dyer.

Dyer, having declared three weeks ago that his organisation would be "relentless" in its bid to alter the bans, agreed to draw a line under the matter.

Eddings and Dyer's actions don't seem like much on the surface but the contrast to last year's bitter pay dispute, when relations between CA and the ACA hit an all-time low, could not be more frank.

There is renewed hope in cricketing circles the governing body and players' union will rebuild their relationship, as per The Ethics Centre's most urgent recommendation.

The next hurdle will be a circuit-breaker meeting early next week between representatives from CA's board and the ACA executive.

It will be a chance to air grievances and establish how they best work together to rebuild Australian cricket after a stack of off-field crises and on-field capitulations to have followed the nightmare at Newlands.

But the fate of Smith and Warner, sacked as captain and vice-captain respectively while given a 12-month ban for their roles in the ball-tampering saga, and Bancroft, whose nine-month ban expires on December 29, won't be on the agenda.

"We believe the ongoing conversation about reducing the sanctions puts undue pressure on the three players - all of whom accepted the sanctions earlier this year - and the Australian men's cricket team," Eddings said in a statement.

"As such, the Cricket Australia board doesn't intend to consider further calls for amendments."

The players' union described the decision as "disappointing" in a statement but accepted the ruling from CA's new-look board that is yet to replace directors David Peever and Mark Taylor.

Aaron Finch, a member of ACA's executive preparing to captain Australia in Wednesday night's Twenty20 opener against India, vowed it was time to "move on".

"It would've been great to see the guys (Smith and Warner) playing some domestic cricket in the back half of the season but we've got to respect CA's decision," Finch said.

Smith and Warner will be restricted to grade cricket for the entire home summer, apart from a potential comeback in the Sheffield Shield final.

"CA maintains that both the length and nature of the sanctions remain an appropriate response in light of the considerable impact on the reputation of Australian cricket, here and abroad," Eddings said.

Cameron Bancroft of Australia talks to the umpire on the third day of the third cricket test between South Africa and Australia at Newlands Stadium, in Cape Town, South Africa, Saturday, March 24, 2018. (AP Photo/Halden Krog)
The umpires speak to Cameron Bancroft (left), who admitted cheating, while his captain Steve Smith watches on. Source: Associated Press


Topics