Young and old, men and women - the faces of those killed in Christchurch mosque attacks revealed

The faces of those who were killed in the Christchurch mosque attacks on Friday have been revealed as bodies begin to be returned to their loved ones and stories of bravery and heroism emerge.

Your playlist will load after this ad

As the death toll reaches 50 and people grieve, tales of heroism are emerging. Source: 1 NEWS

A total of 50 people have now been confirmed dead in the terrorist attack after one more body was found in the Deans Avenue mosque. The dead include two children, police confirmed this evening. One was a three-year-old Somalian boy from a family of seven.

Young and old, men and women, were all wrenched suddenly and violently from their families and friends.

"I lost three of my best friends, three of them in the bed of hospital, which is hard to explain," an emotional Najib Hejran told 1 NEWS.

One of those friends, 71-year-old Haji Daoud Nabi, sought asylum in New Zealand more than 40 years ago after fleeing Afghanistan with his two sons.

"It is really hard for everyone, every human. Even though I'm not their relatives, I was their friend. But I'm suffering a lot," Najib Hejran said. 

As people grieve, tales of heroism emerge.

Naeem Rashid came to New Zealand from Pakistan in 2010. He tried to take the attacker down, but her was killed and so so was his 21-year-old son Talha.

"I feel very proud of my brother, the way he died. I wish could die like him, he was a brave person. And I heard from people there. There were a few witnesses. He saved a few people's lives there by trying to stop that guy," Khursheed Alam, Naeem Rashid's brother said.

Rizwan Rashid Butt, another brother of Naeem Rashid said: "I saw that video and the first thing I wanted to see was the look in his eyes. I did not see an iota of fear in those eyes. That made me proud. What a brave man he was. He's my hero at least."

In Karachi, they're mourning another Pakistani, 27-year-old accountant Syed Ahmed who had worked in New Zealand for a year.

Your playlist will load after this ad

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern addressed reporters at the Beehive in Wellington late this afternoon. Source: 1 NEWS

Today, the scene at the Memorial Park Cemetery couldn't have been grimmer. Behind a long, white screen the graves for the 50 victims are being made ready.

Some have been released to their loved ones, while others must wait longer.

"We have to be absolutely clear on cause of death and confirm their identity before that can happen. But we are so aware of the cultural and religious needs, so we are working as quickly and as sensitively as possible," Police Commissioner Mike Bush said this afternoon.

At the Deans Avenue site, where most people died, the silence is profound. Flowers are being ferried to the mosque wall by police. 

"I wanted to show despite what happened on Friday we are a loving country who accept everyone. It doesn't define who we are," Ariana Farr, a Christchurch resident said, crying. 

The crime scene is becoming a shrine to those who perished at the mosque.