'I would get a bit of a talking to' - Jacinda Ardern tut-tuts David Seymour's F-bomb

Labour leader Jacinda Ardern says if her mother caught her swearing like ACT Leader David Seymour, she would probably "get a talking to".

Mr Seymour was speaking at a Business NZ conference when he called New Zealand First MP Richard Prosser a "f**king idiot".

Mr Prosser had earlier told the conference at Te Papa that his party would bring electricity assets back under a state-owned, state-controlled umbrella.

"That means if you have shares in Contact - get rid of them now," Mr Prosser said.

Asked how he proposed to fund an $11 billion buy-back of electricity companies, Mr Prosser said they would be bought back over time at the price they were sold for.

Mr Seymour was at Business NZ conference in Wellington, when he criticised NZ First MP Richard Prosser. Source: 1 NEWS

Mr Seymour told the audience that statement showed how the last nine years of having reliable, orthodox economic policy could crash down in four weeks' time.

"The idea that you would have somebody who pretends to hold the balance of power - to come and tell you that a stock trading at $5.85 is going to be nationalised at $3.10 and you better all sell it.

"Well, I realise that in a role such as mine you are supposed to have a certain amount of decorum ... but that makes me really angry - what a f***ing idiot," Mr Seymour said to laughter and applause.

Ms Ardern, speaking to media today, said "if my mother caught me swearing in the way that David Seymour did, I'm sure that I would get a bit of a talking to".

"One of the reasons that some of our voters have disengaged, particularly our younger voters, is that they don't want to see combative politics."

The Labour Leader says David Seymour has his own campaign to run and she has hers. Source: 1 NEWS



Two teens, 15 and 17, charged after robbery and assault of elderly man in Kerikeri

A 15-year-old boy has been charged with receiving a stolen vehicle after a police pursuit in the Far North this morning, while a 17-year-old has been charged with the robbery and assault of an elderly man in Kerikeri.

Police say the teenager was spotted driving in a stolen red Suzuki Swift near Mangamuka and a pursuit took place.

The stolen vehicle was the same one police had been seeking following the alleged robbery and assault of an 82-year-old male in Kerikeri on Friday 21st September.

Earlier today, police arrested and charged a 17-year-old man over Friday's aggravated robbery incident.

He will appear in the Kaikohe District Court tomorrow.

Inquiries into that incident are ongoing and Detective Senior Sergeant Rhys Johnston says police are still seeking a second person in connection to the aggravated robbery.

Police also advise that the elderly victim has been discharged from hospital and is recovering at home.

The man's car has sustained considerable damage and is unlikely to be roadworthy, Police say.

The 15-year-old boy will appear in the Youth Court later this week, charged with receiving the stolen vehicle and a number of driving charges.

Police car generic.
Police car generic. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

'UNderage' - world's media spellbound by Jacinda Ardern's history-making appearance at UN with baby Neve

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's history-making appearance at the UN in New York with three-month-old daughter Neve has gripped the world's media which has splashed headlines like "UNderage" and declaring the baby "premieres among world leaders".

Ms Ardern is among world leaders at the UN General Assembly this week and has Neve, born in June, in tow.

While the Prime Minister spoke at the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit on today, Neve got a front-row seat on father Clarke Gayford's lap, catching the eye of cameras. She earlier watched proceedings with her mum.

"UNderage. Jacinda Ardern makes history with baby Neve at UN general assembly," declared Britain's The Guardian.

The piece noted that last week the rules were tweaked in New Zealand to allow the Prime Minister or ministers to travel with a nanny on overseas assignments, and have this covered by the taxpayer.

However, Ms Ardern had said Gayford’s tickets to New York and expenses would be paid for out of her own pocket, because there were few official spousal engagements Gayford would be required to attend, and most of his time would be taken up caring for Neve, The Guardian reported on its website.

"Ardern has earned a reputation as a frugal leader who recently froze MPs salaries for a year and makes her ministers carpool to events," it said.

BBC News headlined it's story: "New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern's baby premieres among world leaders"

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has made her debut speech at the UN in New York - and in another first for the organisation she brought her baby along too, it said, adding that Ms Ardern played with daughter Neve Te Aroha, shortly before addressing the UN's General Assembly.

The BBC quoted UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric telling Reuters: "Prime Minister Ardern is showing that no one is better qualified to represent her country than a working mother. Just five per cent of the world's leaders are women, so we need to make them as welcome here as possible."

Closer to home, Australia's SBS Life carried a comment piece headed: "Jacinda Ardern taking her baby to the UN is #mumgoals"

"If Jacinda Ardern can take her child to the UN General Assembly, I'm not going to feel so guilty about taking my toddler to cafes," Caitlin Chang wrote.

"When you've got a newborn baby, sometimes just having a shower is cause for celebration, so hats off to Jacinda Ardern for heading to a summit of world leaders with three-month-old baby Neve in tow."

Chang said Ms Ardern's openness about her life as a new parent is refreshing. 

"The reality is, working mothers don't stop being parents when they return to work-they're hiding in bathrooms to pump breast milk, juggling child care pick ups and operating zombie-like on months of broken sleep," Chang wrote. 

"Working mothers shouldn't feel embarrassed or guilty about having to sometimes bring their home life to work. So next time you feel sheepish about having to leave work early to pick up a sick child, ask yourself: what would Jacinda do?" the piece concluded.

Singapore's The Straits Times carried copy from news agency AFP that ran: "New Zealand's prime minister, who shot to international fame for giving birth while in office, turned heads on Monday (Sept 24) by bringing her three-month-old daughter into the UN assembly hall."

As other reports also pointed out, The Straits Times reported Jacinda Ardern, 38, is only the second world leader to ever give birth while in the office. The first was the late Benazir Bhutto, who was prime minister of Pakistan when her daughter was born in 1990.


There was a very public appearance for the Prime Minister’s baby in New York.
Source: Reuters

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Instagram co-founders resign from social media company

The co-founders of Instagram are resigning their positions with the social media company without explanation.

Chief Executive Kevin Systrom said in a statement today that he and Mike Krieger, Instagram's chief technical officer, plan to leave the company in the next few weeks and take time off "to explore our curiosity and creativity again."

"Mike and I are grateful for the last eight years at Instagram and six years with the Facebook team," Systrom said.

"We've grown from 13 people to over a thousand with offices around the world, all while building products used and loved by a community of over one billion. We're now ready for our next chapter."

"Building new things requires that we step back, understand what inspires us and match that with what the world needs; that's what we plan to do," Systrom said.

"We remain excited for the future of Instagram and Facebook in the coming years as we transition from leaders to two users in a billion."

No explanation was given for their sudden departure from the photo-sharing network they founded in 2010.

Facebook bought Instagram in 2012, just before going public, at a price that seemed inconceivable at the time — $1 billion — especially for a little-known startup with no profit.

At the time Instagram was ad-free, with a loyal following of 31 million users who were all on mobile devices — still a somewhat elusive bunch for the web-born Facebook back then. Since then, the service has grown to more than 1 billion users and has of course added plenty of advertisements.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg called Systrom and Krieger "extraordinary product leaders" and said he was looking forward "to seeing what they build next."

The departures are a challenge for Facebook.

Instagram has been a bright spot for company not just because it's seen as a more uplifting place than Facebook itself, but because it is popular with teens and young people — a group Facebook has had trouble keeping around.

Instagram has largely escaped Facebook's high-profile problems over user privacy, foreign elections interference and fake news, even though it is not immune to any of these things (Facebook recently disclosed it has deleted hundreds of pages on its namesake site as well as Instagram that were linked to global misinformation campaigns intended to disrupt elections).

Though Systrom, in the early days of Instagram ads, famously checked each one personally to ensure it aligned with the app's aesthetics, he was not as loudly anti-ads as the founder of another popular Facebook-acquired mobile app, WhatsApp.

WhatsApp's CEO Jan Koum resigned in April.

Koum had signaled years earlier that he would take a stand against Facebook if the company's push to increase profits demanded radical changes in the way WhatsApp operates.

In a blog post written when Facebook announced the biggest acquisition in its history, Koum wrote that the deal wouldn't have happened if WhatsApp "had to compromise on the core principles that will always define our company, our vision and our product."

Berlin, Germany - 05 21 2016:  Apple iPhone 6s screen with social media applications Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google, Youtube, Vimeo, LinkedIn, Pinterest, WhatsApp etc.
Instagram (file picture). Source: istock.com


Lifting suppression for men charged over fatal shooting of Mongrel Mob member 'a risk' to police investigation - Crown

Naming the 12 men arrested over the shooting of Mongrel Mob member Kevin Ratana would pose "a significant and real risk" to the police investigation into his death, a court has heard today.

Mr Ratana, a 27-year-old father of two, was shot and killed in Whanganui in August.

Judge Philip Crayton considered the name suppression orders at the Whanganui District Court this morning.

None of the defendants were required to appear.

They face charges ranging from belonging to an organised criminal group, to firearms offences and threatening to kill.

No one has so far been charged with causing Mr Ratana's death.

Judge Crayton told the court that he accepted a Crown instruction that revealing the men's names at this stage "could pose a significant and real risk" to the police investigation and compromise their "fair trial rights".

"This is more than a speculative risk - this is a real risk," Judge Clayton said.

He also feared release of the men's names at this stage could affect the ability of the court to hold any eventual trial in Whanganui.

Defence counsel Jamie Waugh supported the move to retain interim name suppression.

At an earlier hearing, Mr Waugh had argued that some of the defendants had expressed concerns about the safety of their families and reported heightened activity from rival gang members in Whanganui.

Some had already shifted family members out of town.

Judge Clayton said in light of the Crown submission arguments over the risk to the defendants and their families did not need to be advanced further.

He remanded the men on current bail conditions to reappear on 30 November when interim name suppression would lapse.

By Robin Martin 

rnz.co.nz

Mongrel Mob members in Whanganui for Kevin Ratana's funeral.
Mongrel Mob members in Whanganui for Kevin Ratana's funeral. Source: rnz.co.nz