Wellington's annual Guy Fawkes fireworks display will be cancelled from 2018 to make way for a major fireworks event during Matariki.
The Wellington City Council announced today it will move the annual event to Matariki, the Maori new year, which occurs around June and July every year.
"The winter months in New Zealand tend to be quiet and that presents an opportunity to celebrate an event that is relevant to New Zealand," says Mayor Justin Lester.
"We want Wellington to lead the country in making this a major civic event."
Earlier this year the council committed about $250,000 to the city's Matariki celebrations in 2018.
The council has organised Guy Fawkes celebrations for 22 years, but the display on November 5 will be its last.
Deputy Mayor Jill Day says this year's mini fireworks show celebrating Matariki was successful and popular.
"The feedback we received was that the earlier time was much more family friendly.
"As a mother of three young children, that shows me this is a much better time for this event and will help make Sky Show even better and more popular."
Mr Lester says the move will show how serious the city is about making Matariki an even more important celebration.
"The council is committed to working with mana whenua and all of the other stakeholders that have for years being doing good work on their own Matariki events."