Watch: Stonewalling Winston Peters gives media pack the silent treatment at Wellington Airport

Winston Peters stayed mostly silent when he was met by media at Wellington Airport this morning.

The NZ First leader met his caucus today to prepare for preliminary coalition negotiations. Source: 1 NEWS

Mr Peters only smiled as he was questioned by reporters while walking through the airport with fellow New Zealand First MP Ron Mark.

He did however break his silence when asked about keeping New Zealand waiting over the make-up of the next government, saying 380,000 Kiwis who cast special votes in last month's election were also waiting for their votes to be counted. 

He is undertaking preliminary negotiations with both Labour and National in regards to forming a coalition government, and was today clearly unwilling to expand on his progress.

Jacinda Ardern has confirmed that she has now spoken with Mr Peters, as has Bill English.

The NZ First leader is in hot demand as the country waits to find out the make-up of the next government. Source: 1 NEWS

Watch: Huge Hercules NZ Defence plane to the rescue with 12 tonnes of aid for Vanuatu volcano evacuees

One of the largest transport planes in the New Zealand Defence Force's arsenal, a Hercules C-130, has today been loaded with 12 tonnes of aid for evacuees who have fled Vanuatu's erupting volcano.

The huge shipment of $250,000 worth of supplies consists of tarpaulins, hygiene kits, generators, and mother-and-infant kits.

More than 11,000 people are evacuating from Ambae island, Vanuatu, due to the threat from an eruption from Monaro volcano.

It is predicted Monaro could keep erupting for months.  

Four New Zealand disaster relief experts have been sent to the island to help with with logistics and environmental health.

Ten local ships have been helping with the government-ordered evacuation of 11,000 people from Ambae island, about 250km from Port Vila.


TOP spokesman Sean Plunket in hot water over election day social media with Electoral Commission

Broadcaster and TOP party Communications Director Sean Plunket's tweets on Election Day are now being investigated by police.

The Electoral Commission said in a release that a total of four complaints were referred to police yesterday in response to social media content.

Two incidents involved comments made by Mr Plunket online before the polls closed at 7pm, which the Commission said may have breached the Electoral Act.

The Electoral Act prevents anyone from publishing material which might influence voters between midnight and 7pm on election day.

"As these matter are now with Police, the Electoral Commission will not be commenting further," the statement read.

Mr Plunket - an employee and representative of the TOP party - tweeted on election day: "Hope everyone remembers to put a top on before going out to vote, when it's cold, two tops".

Sean Plunket
Sean Plunket. Source: Wikimedia Commons/Karora