Watch: 'I miss him every day' - hero police dog Gazza remembered by handler at new memorial

Police dogs killed while on duty have been remembered in a special new memorial in Wellington.

Twenty-four plaques cover the Wall of Remembrance at the Police Dog Training Centre in Trentham, honouring every dog killed since 1972.

Gazza, shot dead during a siege last year, is one of the 24 police dogs on the Wall of Remembrance in Trentham, Wellington. Source: 1 NEWS

Their names, the day they died and their handlers names are included.

The last police dog killed was four-year- old German Shepherd Gazza, who was shot dead during a siege at a property in Porirua last year.

His handler, Constable Josh Robertson unveiled Gazza's plaque, which is placed next to a photo of his new partner dog, Iko.

"He was an outstanding street dog," he said about Gazza.

Seven Sharp's Rebecca Edwards went to meet a new litter of police pups. Source: Seven Sharp

"I would turn up at any job and if the offender was there to be caught, I'd be catching them."

Mr Robertson said the loss of Gazza was not "something you get over easily" and that "it's always a bit of an open wound".

Nine other handlers of dogs featuring on the wall were also at the ceremony this morning. 



Man charged with multiple assaults in Invercargill

A 24-year-old man has been arrested in relation to several assaults in Invercargill today.

The man, who has been remanded in custody, is due to appear in Invercargill District Court on Tuesday 2 October.

The man has been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and assault. Further charges are likely.

Between 1.30 and 2.30am today, the man allegedly assaulted four people at two different properties.

A 17 and 23-year-old man, and a 26-year-old woman sustained minor injuries from the incident at the first property, while a 30-year-old man sustained serious facial injuries at the second location.

Police are not looking for anyone else in relation to either incident.

Police car generic.
Police car generic. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

First images of wreck believed to be Captain Cook's Endeavour revealed

Researchers exploring whether a shipwreck off the coast of Rhode Island could be the vessel that 18th-century explorer Captain James Cook used to sail around the world have released images of the vessel.

The Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project, which is leading the search effort, and the Australian National Maritime Museum identified the vessel.

It's one of 13 shipwrecks that have been known for years to be in the harbor near Newport, Rhode Island.

Archaeologists were meeting today in Newport to talk about their recent fieldwork.

The Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project also described the site as promising but said it'll still take a lot more work and money to identify it.

Nearly 250 years ago, Cook ran aground on Australia's Great Barrier Reef during a voyage to the South Pacific.

His ship was the Endeavour, an awkward little vessel that improbably helped him become the first European to chart Australia's east coast.

It was the ship in which the explorer charted New Zealand and Australia between 1769 and 1771.

The Endeavour was also part of the fleet of 13 ships the British scuttled during the Revolutionary War in 1778 to blockade Newport Harbor from the French.

It was listed in the records under a different name, the Lord Sandwich.

The nonprofit Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project located documents in London identifying the groups of ships in that fleet and where each was scuttled


Archaeologists are almost certain they've located the scuttled ship. Source: 1 NEWS


Topics

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

At least eight members of elite Revolutionary guard dead after gunmen attack military parade in Iran

Gunmen attacked a military parade in the southwest Iranian city of Ahvaz today, killing at least 8 members of the elite Revolutionary Guard and wounding 20 people, state media said.

The state-run IRNA news agency reported that the wounded included a woman and a child but did not elaborate.

Earlier reports described the assailants as "Takfiri," a term previously used to describe the Islamic State group.

The semi-official Fars news agency, which is close to the elite Revolutionary Guard, said two gunmen on a motorcycle wearing khaki uniforms carried out the attack.

State television showed images of the immediate aftermath. In it, paramedics could be seen helping someone in military fatigues laying on the ground.

Other armed security personnel shouted at each other in front of what appeared to be a viewing stand for the parade.

The semi-official ISNA news agency published photographs of the attack's aftermath, with bloodied troops in dress uniforms helping each other walk away. The attack struck on Ahvaz's Quds, or Jerusalem, Boulevard.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Today’s attack comes after a coordinated June 7, 2017 Islamic State group assault on parliament and the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in Tehran.

That attack had at that point been the only one by the Sunni extremists inside of Shiite Iran, which has been deeply involved in the wars in Iraq and Syria where the militants once held vast territory.

At least 18 people were killed and more than 50 wounded in the 2017 attack that saw gunmen carrying Kalashnikov assault rifles and explosives storm the parliament complex where a legislative session had been in progress, starting an hours-long siege.

Meanwhile, gunmen and suicide bombers also struck outside Khomeini's mausoleum on Tehran's southern outskirts.

Khomeini led the 1979 Islamic Revolution that toppled the Western-backed shah to become Iran's first supreme leader until his death in 1989.

Ahvaz is the capital of Iran's oil-rich Khuzestan province. The province in the past has seen Arab separatists attack oil pipelines.

The assault shocked Tehran, which largely has avoided militant attacks in the decades after the tumult surrounding the Islamic Revolution.

Fighter generic. Source: Thinkstock


Members of the public rush to save stranded whale at Auckland beach that turned out to be a fake

Members of the public flocked to Browns Bay in Auckland after spotting what looked like a stranded whale close to the shoreline, many people ran down to the waters edge to see if they could help.

However, it wasn't a real whale, but rather a life-like replica used by rescue charity Project Jonah.

"We thought we saw a whale in the water, so we stopped, got out and had a wee look," one onlooker said.

This weekend Project Jonah is holding two training sessions for volunteers.

"We're teaching people the basic skills needed to help keep stranded whales and dolphins alive," Project Jonah general manager Daren Grover said.

The trainers explained how to handle the mammals when they are in distress.

Two mammal replicas were used; a training dolphin, which when filled with water weighs 150 kilograms and a training whale which takes 2000 litres of water and can weigh up to two tonnes.

New Zealand has one of the highest stranding rates in the world, with more than 300 dolphins and whales coming ashore each year.

However, sometimes appearances can be deceiving. Source: 1 NEWS