Watch: Lightning strikes commercial jet seconds after take-off in storm conditions

A large Boeing commercial jet has been struck by lightning just seconds after a blustery take off at Amsterdam's international airport.

The KLM Boeing 777-300 was leaving Schiphol Airport when the bolt connected with the body of the jet.

Freeze-frames of the footage seems to show the lightning strike exiting the plane through the tip of its wing.

However, no damage was reported by the plane and it reached its destination safely in Lima, Peru.

Footage of the strike emerged online today, but it is unclear what date exactly the incident occurred. 



Two teens, 15 and 17, charged after robbery and assault of elderly man in Kerikeri

A 15-year-old boy has been charged with receiving a stolen vehicle after a police pursuit in the Far North this morning, while a 17-year-old has been charged with the robbery and assault of an elderly man in Kerikeri.

Police say the teenager was spotted driving in a stolen red Suzuki Swift near Mangamuka and a pursuit took place.

The stolen vehicle was the same one police had been seeking following the alleged robbery and assault of an 82-year-old male in Kerikeri on Friday 21st September.

Earlier today, police arrested and charged a 17-year-old man over Friday's aggravated robbery incident.

He will appear in the Kaikohe District Court tomorrow.

Inquiries into that incident are ongoing and Detective Senior Sergeant Rhys Johnston says police are still seeking a second person in connection to the aggravated robbery.

Police also advise that the elderly victim has been discharged from hospital and is recovering at home.

The man's car has sustained considerable damage and is unlikely to be roadworthy, Police say.

The 15-year-old boy will appear in the Youth Court later this week, charged with receiving the stolen vehicle and a number of driving charges.

Police car generic.
Police car generic. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

'UNderage' - world's media spellbound by Jacinda Ardern's history-making appearance at UN with baby Neve

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's history-making appearance at the UN in New York with three-month-old daughter Neve has gripped the world's media which has splashed headlines like "UNderage" and declaring the baby "premieres among world leaders".

Ms Ardern is among world leaders at the UN General Assembly this week and has Neve, born in June, in tow.

While the Prime Minister spoke at the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit on today, Neve got a front-row seat on father Clarke Gayford's lap, catching the eye of cameras. She earlier watched proceedings with her mum.

"UNderage. Jacinda Ardern makes history with baby Neve at UN general assembly," declared Britain's The Guardian.

The piece noted that last week the rules were tweaked in New Zealand to allow the Prime Minister or ministers to travel with a nanny on overseas assignments, and have this covered by the taxpayer.

However, Ms Ardern had said Gayford’s tickets to New York and expenses would be paid for out of her own pocket, because there were few official spousal engagements Gayford would be required to attend, and most of his time would be taken up caring for Neve, The Guardian reported on its website.

"Ardern has earned a reputation as a frugal leader who recently froze MPs salaries for a year and makes her ministers carpool to events," it said.

BBC News headlined it's story: "New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern's baby premieres among world leaders"

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has made her debut speech at the UN in New York - and in another first for the organisation she brought her baby along too, it said, adding that Ms Ardern played with daughter Neve Te Aroha, shortly before addressing the UN's General Assembly.

The BBC quoted UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric telling Reuters: "Prime Minister Ardern is showing that no one is better qualified to represent her country than a working mother. Just five per cent of the world's leaders are women, so we need to make them as welcome here as possible."

Closer to home, Australia's SBS Life carried a comment piece headed: "Jacinda Ardern taking her baby to the UN is #mumgoals"

"If Jacinda Ardern can take her child to the UN General Assembly, I'm not going to feel so guilty about taking my toddler to cafes," Caitlin Chang wrote.

"When you've got a newborn baby, sometimes just having a shower is cause for celebration, so hats off to Jacinda Ardern for heading to a summit of world leaders with three-month-old baby Neve in tow."

Chang said Ms Ardern's openness about her life as a new parent is refreshing. 

"The reality is, working mothers don't stop being parents when they return to work-they're hiding in bathrooms to pump breast milk, juggling child care pick ups and operating zombie-like on months of broken sleep," Chang wrote. 

"Working mothers shouldn't feel embarrassed or guilty about having to sometimes bring their home life to work. So next time you feel sheepish about having to leave work early to pick up a sick child, ask yourself: what would Jacinda do?" the piece concluded.

Singapore's The Straits Times carried copy from news agency AFP that ran: "New Zealand's prime minister, who shot to international fame for giving birth while in office, turned heads on Monday (Sept 24) by bringing her three-month-old daughter into the UN assembly hall."

As other reports also pointed out, The Straits Times reported Jacinda Ardern, 38, is only the second world leader to ever give birth while in the office. The first was the late Benazir Bhutto, who was prime minister of Pakistan when her daughter was born in 1990.


There was a very public appearance for the Prime Minister’s baby in New York.
Source: Reuters

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Lifting suppression for men charged over fatal shooting of Mongrel Mob member 'a risk' to police investigation - Crown

Naming the 12 men arrested over the shooting of Mongrel Mob member Kevin Ratana would pose "a significant and real risk" to the police investigation into his death, a court has heard today.

Mr Ratana, a 27-year-old father of two, was shot and killed in Whanganui in August.

Judge Philip Crayton considered the name suppression orders at the Whanganui District Court this morning.

None of the defendants were required to appear.

They face charges ranging from belonging to an organised criminal group, to firearms offences and threatening to kill.

No one has so far been charged with causing Mr Ratana's death.

Judge Crayton told the court that he accepted a Crown instruction that revealing the men's names at this stage "could pose a significant and real risk" to the police investigation and compromise their "fair trial rights".

"This is more than a speculative risk - this is a real risk," Judge Clayton said.

He also feared release of the men's names at this stage could affect the ability of the court to hold any eventual trial in Whanganui.

Defence counsel Jamie Waugh supported the move to retain interim name suppression.

At an earlier hearing, Mr Waugh had argued that some of the defendants had expressed concerns about the safety of their families and reported heightened activity from rival gang members in Whanganui.

Some had already shifted family members out of town.

Judge Clayton said in light of the Crown submission arguments over the risk to the defendants and their families did not need to be advanced further.

He remanded the men on current bail conditions to reappear on 30 November when interim name suppression would lapse.

By Robin Martin 

rnz.co.nz

Mongrel Mob members in Whanganui for Kevin Ratana's funeral.
Mongrel Mob members in Whanganui for Kevin Ratana's funeral. Source: rnz.co.nz


Missing Auckland 13-year-old found safe and well

A 13-year-old Auckland boy who went missing yesterday afternoon has been found safe and well.

Police earlier said Paulo Junior Te Raroa was last seen Monday, around 3.30pm at an address on Kahu Road, Panmure.

They say he's not been found and is safe and well.

Paulo Te Raroa. Source: NZ Police