Watch: Dramatic footage emerges of police rescuing children from Tauranga hostage incident

Neighbours filmed the moment police emerged from a Tauranga home with two young children who had been held hostage.

Your playlist will load after this ad

A man was shot dead by police after a 14-hour standoff in which he held children hostage. Source: Supplied

Yesterday, a man was shot dead by police after a more than 14-hour standoff in Bellevue.

Read More:
Man dead after being shot by police in Tauranga following 14-hour standoff

Bay of Plenty District Commander Superintendent Andy McGregor yesterday said the man threatened his partner with a knife. The woman managed to escape and call the police from a neighbour's house about 12.25am.

But three children were in the Oriana Crescent house with the man, who held a large machete to the throat of one of the children. 

Your playlist will load after this ad

Family also gathered at the address where a 14-hour standoff and hostage incident took place yesterday. Source: 1 NEWS

About 3pm, police were confronted by the man and he was shot. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The two children, girls aged four and six, were taken to hospital but were released to whānau yesterday evening.

The moment the children were carried from the home by police was caught on video.

Your playlist will load after this ad

Police were involved in a 14-hour standoff with the man. Source: 1 NEWS

Multiple gunshot-like sounds can be heard on footage, but police today confirmed only one round was fired by police.

"We understand residents have reported hearing multiple shots being fired. This was likely to have been distraction devices, which were deployed twice upon police entry and which can produce a sound similar to rapid gunfire," police said in a statement today.

"The investigation will examine the full circumstances of the incident and the actions taken by those involved, as well as the tactical options taken by police."

Today, police were seen at the house holding up a tarp as the body was carried to a hearse.

Family have been arriving, including two children who were covered in blankets.

Tauranga Mayor Tenby Powell today met with the family of the deceased man at the centre of the police shooting.
"This has been an extremely traumatic experience for all involved," he said. "I’ve indicated on behalf of our community that our thoughts are with them at this difficult time."