Watch: Burst water main shuts down part of Queenstown Mall, leaving it a flooded mess

A burst water main has sent a mass of water flowing down Queenstown Mall, turning it into a flooded mess.

Fire crews and an emergency tape keeps people away from a huge hole after a water main broke in Christchurch.
Fire crews and an emergency tape keeps people away from a huge hole after a water main broke in Christchurch. Source: 1 NEWS

Footage sent to 1 NEWS NOW shows brown water flowing around empty tables and chairs in the popular Queenstown shopping district.

The council says water may not be restored in the popular tourist district until tomorrow morning.

Onlookers are held back behind security tape watching the flood unfold as firefighters attend the scene.

A statement released by the Queenstown Lakes District Council says: "Contractors have successfully shut off the water to assess the damage and will start working on fixing the fault.

"Rees Street is currently closed to traffic and contractors are on site talking to affected businesses. It is likely that water in the immediate vicinity will remain off overnight."

The council says a further update will be provided by 8am tomorrow, unless the situation changes.

 




Hastings blaze: Police release name of boy who died

Police have released the name of the 10-year-old boy who died following a fire in Hastings on Monday.

The ten-year-old died overnight in hospital after yesterday's fire. Source: 1 NEWS

Ariki River Baden Mau of Camberley, Hastings died in hospital early on Tuesday.

The fire engulfed a building on Heretaunga Street West, Hastings around 2.30pm.

Police say the fire is being treated as suspicious and appealed for anyone with information to get in touch.

"Police's thoughts are with Ariki's whanau and friends at this tragic time and support is being provided," a spokesperson said.

The investigation into the fire is ongoing.


Topics

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Fire breaks out at Auckland's Mount Albert Grammar School

Fire crews have been called to a blaze at Mount Albert Grammar School in Auckland.

Fire appliance Source: 1 NEWS

A Fire Northern Communications spokesperson told 1 NEWS the fire began in the ceiling void of a classroom about 6.15pm.

The fire has since been put out, 1 NEWS was told.


Topics