Viagogo, LuxStyle Aps, Trade Me and Deal Man top list of most complained about online retailers by Kiwi shoppers

Kiwis are shopping up a storm online in growing numbers but it seems we're not always getting the service we expect.

The Commerce Commission has revealed in the 2016/2017 year, 42 per cent of consumer complaints were about being misled were related to online shopping.

The most complained online trader was ticket retail website Viagogo – with 57 complaints, but also making the top five were LuxStyle Aps, Trade Me and Deal Man.

Consumer New Zealand's Sue Chetwin speaks about controversial ticket resale site Viagogo. Source: Breakfast

The commission says consumers struggle to work out if the trader's represented price, goods or services accurately, especially with online pricing appearing to be cheaper when compared to traditional bricks and mortars stores.

There's also been an increase of complaints where products have failed to be delivered at all, or consumers have been "scammed" by online traders. The commission warns consumers trust in trade online could fall if more consumers are "burned" by negative experiences.

In total the commission received 7270 complaints in the 2016/2017 year, with the majority falling under the Fair Trading Act.

Telcos are the most complained about industry.

And 21 traders generated 20 per cent of Fair Trading Act complaints from 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017. They are:

Vodafone New Zealand
Spark New Zealand Trading
Foodstuffs (NZ)
2degrees Mobile
Noel Leeming Group
Air New Zealand
Vocus Communications
Progressive Enterprises
Wilson Parking
Viagogo
Sky Network Television
Brand Developers
LuxStyle Aps
Harvey Norman
Trade Me
Fitlink New Zealand
The Warehouse
PTMO Limited
Trustpower
Contact Energy
PB Technologies

According to the Commerce Commission, 42 per cent of complaints made under the Fair Trading Act related to online spending. Source: 1 NEWS



Are there cracks in the coalition? Disagreement with NZ First forced Labour to abandon announcing details of Crown-Māori Relations portfolio

Cracks are appearing in the coalition Government with the the big influence of Winston Peters putting heat on the Prime Minister and hampering policy announcements and the passing of legislation.

1 NEWS understands disagreements within the coalition forced Labour to abandon announcing detail of its Crown-Māori Relations portfolio earlier this week.

Monday's cabinet meeting was a chance for the Government to lay out the detail of its new Crown-Māori portfolio, but in an unusual twist the information didn't follow.

"I'm not going to pre-announce cabinet papers," Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said after the meeting.

1 NEWS now understands it was due to New Zealand First and Labour disagreeing over the detail in cabinet, postponing the announcement

In Parliament today, National's Gerry Brownlee said New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters "still hasn't stopped acting as prime minister. He is the veto on everything this Government does".

Mr Peters was unwilling to answer questions about the matter today.

Asked by 1 NEWS if New Zealand First veted the establishment of an agency for the Crown-Maori portfolio in the Ministry of Justice, he replied: "Well look I can't answer that question 'cause I don't have any recall of that."

"Send me a written question, I'll give you an answer because I'm not going to do it off the top of my head. I don't have a very present recall of that."

Asked why he can't recall given that cabinet was only held on Monday, Mr Peters said: "Well because I want to know the exact detail on that before I answer the question."

But NZ First minister Shane Jones didn't hide his contempt just yesterday, telling reporters: "[We] need to be realistic about what we can achieve in the next 24 months."

During Question Time today, National leader Simon Bridges asked the Prime Minister: "Can we no longer believe ministerial press statements unless they're signed off by Mr Peters?"

Ms Ardern replied: "No, ridiculous."

It is the latest issue in a string of disagreements.

Labour was set to repeal the three strikes law but was forced by NZ First to back down.

Then there's the refugee quota. Labour is keen to double it, but NZ First is in no hurry. 

And recently there's been disagreement on employment law, including whether to scrap the youth pay rate.

Asked recently on TVNZ1's Q+A if Labour can't get rid of the youth pay rate because NZ First won't agree, Employment Minister Willie Jackson said: "We agree to disagree sometimes."

Mr Bridges said today he thinks "people are talking about the tail wagging the dog for the first time right now in this Government".

Ms Ardern said: "We debate a number of issues, this is one of many, and we have good robust processes for each."

The Prime Minister was sticking to her mantra today, saying in the House: "All other policies go through a cabinet process."

It's a Cabinet process that's not always straight forward with a coalition government.

The influence of Winston Peters is also believed to be putting the Prime Minister under pressure from rival MPs. Source: 1 NEWS


Most read: Auckland bar responds to Pink's outburst: 'It was a bit of a shock'

This story was first pubksihed on Wednesday September 12.

The pop star wasn’t happy her group wasn’t allowed into Deadshot, and let her millions of followers know. Source: Seven Sharp

After seven world class concerts Pink decided to celebrate and head to Auckland's food and beverage hotspot of Ponsonby on Tuesday.

Pink’s first choice of bar was Deadshot, but unfortunately, her large group was turned away.

Soon afterwards, the whole world heard about it when the pop star Tweeted about the encounter to her millions of followers.

After the unwanted publicity, manager Heather Garland spoke to Seven Sharp.

“One of the crew came in earlier in the day and spoke to Brian over the bar and he told them we just couldn’t take a group that big, and offered to find them somewhere else," she said.

“But they showed up anyway and we couldn’t fit them in.”

Garland said they simply couldn’t cater for 30 people.

“They just went on their way and we didn’t realise there was a problem.”

Pink then took to Twitter saying, “She’s been to some cool bars around the world and Deadshot is not one of them.”

Garland said it came as a bit of a shock, but was pleased by the support they had been shown.

“We never even saw her, we didn’t even know she was part of the group.”

But when Deadshot couldn’t cater for them, they went across the road to the Revelry bar.

Alex Dunn was about to shut up shop when the superstar and her crew dropped in.

“She came to the bar herself, so we were just sitting down together discussing what cocktail she was going for.”

It turns out Pink likes pink drinks so she had a blush negroni.

Dunn says, ‘It wasn’t intentional but I had a feeling that she might like the colour and that I might get a few extra bonus points.”

Her posts here were a little kinder calling the Revelry bar, “The perfect place in Auckland.”

Pink got down to some Kiwi tunes and the party ended around 2am.

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Apple expected to unveil bigger, pricier iPhone tomorrow

Apple is expected to unveil its biggest and most expensive iPhone tomorrow as part of a lineup of three new models aimed at widening the product's appeal amid slowing sales growth.

Most of the buzz is swirling around a rumoured iPhone that is supposed to boast a 6.5-inch OLED screen, up from 5.8 inches on the existing iPhone X.

OLED is a step up from traditional LCD technology in offering a display without a backlight, so black is truly black rather than simply dark.

If the speculation pans out, the even-bigger iPhone would represent Apple's attempt to feed consumers' appetite for increasingly bigger screens as they rely on smartphones to watch and record video, as well as take photos wherever they are.

The iPhone X, a dramatically redesigned model released last fall, got rid of the home button and introduced facial-recognition technology to unlock the device. It was the first mass-market smartphone to demand a $US1,000 starting price.

Although the iPhone X didn't fulfill analysts' lofty sales expectations, it fared well enough for Apple to up the ante with the bigger model, whose price is expected to unveil Wednesday.

Apple also is expected to release an iPhone with minor updates to last year's model and another version made of cheaper materials, including a 6.1-inch LCD screen.

Even so, the cheaper iPhone is still expected to sell for $US650 to $US750. The cheaper phone also is expected to lose the home button. Price cuts for older models, with the home button, are also likely.

Names for the new devices aren't known. The company may also announce a new smartwatch. Apple didn't comment ahead of Wednesday's event, which is being held at its Cupertino, California, headquarters.

By making more expensive iPhones, Apple has been able to boost its profits despite waning demand as people upgrade phones less frequently.  

During the second quarter, which is typically slow for Apple, China's Huawei Technologies surpassed Apple as the second-largest seller of smartphones, based on Gartner's calculations. Samsung remained in the lead.

A man holds an iPhone mobile phone handset.
A man holds an iPhone mobile phone handset. Source: File Image


Topics


National's Gerry Brownlee accused of 'phone bullying' after conversation with junior staff member at law firm

Allegations of phone bullying are being levelled at National MP Gerry Brownlee after a conversation he had with a junior staff member about a steel mesh class action.

However, the MP for Ilam in Christchurch strongly denies what he calls "outrageous accusations".

Mr Brownlee says he was just doing his job raising questions about the class action with a law firm, prompted by a letter placed in the mailboxes of his constituents.

Adina Thorn says a junior staff member at her firm was left so upset by Mr Brownlee’s 17 minute phone call that she had to go home.

"My office received a telephone call from a gentleman who didn't provide a name but then proceeded to ask a copious number of questions was aggressive, bordering on irrational and showed no respect for the steel mesh victims in the debacle," Ms Thorn said.

Ms Thorn said at the end of the call the man identified himself as National MP Gerry Brownlee.

Mr Brownlee’s version of events is in stark contrast to the account.

"I wasn't angry, and I wasn't aggressive. I represent a constituency where there's been a lot of new houses built in the period that they're talking about and I was actually worried about people receiving a letter that could create quite a bit of alarm for them," Mr Brownlee told 1 NEWS.

His call was prompted by a letter encouraging owners of new Christchurch builds to allow the law firm to investigate if they have non-compliant steel in their homes, after three mesh companies were found guilty of selling the product.

The law firm used a public relations company to complain to National leader Simon Bridges' office about the call and are awaiting a response.

The National MP for Ilam strongly denies what he calls “outrageous accusations”, saying he was just doing his job. Source: 1 NEWS