Two people dead after crash involving petrol tanker and another vehicle in Northland

Two people have died after a crash involving a petrol tanker and another vehicle in Oakleigh, south of Whangarei this afternoon.

Police say the crash happened around 12.10pm by Rama Rd and Marsden Point Rd.

It has now been confirmed that two people have died. 

Marsden Point Road will be closed for some time as the serious crash unit investigates. 

Police car generic.
Police car generic. Source: 1 NEWS

'Doing everything we can' - firefighters say it will take three weeks to put put massive Chatham Islands fire

A massive scrub fire which broke out on the Chatham Islands late last week could take up to three weeks to fully extinguish according to Fire and Emergency NZ.

Fire services say the blaze has ripped through approximately 2500 hectares of land, which is equivalent to about 3000 rugby fields.

They have been battling the fire since it broke out on February 1, using helicopters and ground crews to contain the blaze.

"Firefighters and helicopter pilots have been working 11 hour days to get this thing under control, and now they’re working equally hard to extinguish it, hopefully by the end of the month," Principal Rural Fire Officer Craig Cottril says.

The sheer size of the fire means crews expect to be fighting the blaze until the end of the month.

"Because the fire is so big, it’s going to take some time until it’s fully out, but we are doing everything we can to extinguish it by February 28," Officer Cottril says.

An investigation into what caused the blaze is continuing.

The fire is now burning over 2000 hectares, but residents have been able to return home. Source: 1 NEWS



Watch: 'F*** off mate' – man accused of sexually assaulting multiple women lets rip at 1 NEWS reporter outside court

A Rotorua man has denied 11 different charges of a sexual nature in the Napier District Court this morning.

Jason Robert Trembath appeared in the Napier District Court after police laid nine fresh charges of indecent assault.

The 29-year-old manager was already facing two other indecent assault charges.

Trembath is accused of 11 different attacks of a sexual nature across Hawke's Bay and Rotorua over October and November last year.

Police appealed for information and a special CIB team was set up to investigate the attacks.

Two other charges of a different nature were also laid against Trembath this morning. Trembath is accused of stealing over $8000 of cash and cheques from his employer in Gisborne in August last year.

When leaving the court Trembath told 1 NEWS to "F*** off," before saying he has "denied the charges and the matter is before the courts".

He then got in his car with two other people and drove off.

Trembath has been remanded on bail and will reappear in court on March 16.

Jason Robert Trembath has pleaded not guilty to all 11 charges in court today. Source: 1 NEWS