Two dead in Dunedin blaze believed to be couple

Two people have died in a house fire in Dunedin this morning. 

ONN 1 News at 6 promo image
For more on this story, watch 1 NEWS at 6pm. Source: 1 NEWS

The early morning fire ripped through the Wesley St home.

A neighbour told 1NEWS a man believed to be in his 40s and his partner in her 30s were those who died. 

The early morning fire ripped through the Wesley St home. Source: 1 NEWS

It was also reported a third resident was in the front of the house but managed to escape with assistance of a neighbour. 

A fire spokesperson confirmed the double fatality, saying they were called at 5.15am from a neighbouring property in the south of the city.

They arrived to the property and said crews could see the glow in the night sky from the flames.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand were called to the fire just after 5am. Source: 1 NEWS

Man charged with manslaughter after death in Kaikohe

A 21-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter following the death of a 57-year-old man in Kaikohe on Friday night.

Christopher Vujcich died after the incident and an autopsy was carried out yesterday in Auckland.

Police said today that, as a result of further inquiries, a 21-year-old Kaikohe man has now been charged with killing Mr Vujcich.

The accused will appear at Kaikohe District Court on January 30.

Police emergency scene
Police emergency scene Source: 1 NEWS


'Kung fu master' caught shoplifting at West Auckland outdoor store

A man was caught on CCTV practicing his martial arts moves before stuffing some goods down his pants and trying to flee a shop in Auckland.

On Friday Hunting & Fishing posted the footage on their Facebook page, which shows the man acting suspiciously while in the store on 2 January.

He can be seen nervously looking around and checking out items, before he throws a few punches and kicks.

"Please be aware of this master criminal working the Westgate area," the post read.

"We recommend you do not approach this individual as he is clearly a kung fu master and should be considered extremely dangerous."

Eventually, the man crouches down behind a product stand and tries to stuff a rather large piece of merchandise into his pants.

He promptly left the shop, but Hunting & Fishing said on the Facebook post that Police were waiting for him.